Newbie libre 2 queries

NoopNoop

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've just ordered a libre 2 trial while waiting for blood results for confirmation of my diagnosis and funding for getting libre on prescription. I'd like to get it all up and running properly before I go away to work at Glastonbury in about 10 days. My phone doesn't appear in the list of compatible phones. Do some other phones work, or is that an accurate list of phones that will work with it? I've read complaints of battery life being a problem and others having incompatibility problems etc. I've seen on foreign libre sites there are separate readers, but can't find them on the uk site. Can anyone please enlighten me on these queries and offer some advice on what to expect when using one of these? Especially in regards to compatibility, battery usage etc. Thank you in advance. Jim.

NoopNoop

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, I want to prioritize this system working well for me, I don't mind investing in better gadgets if it means it's more likely to work better. Any tips appreciated

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @NoopNoop
The LibreLink app works on more phones that those listed for compatibility.
Provided it has NFC and a recent version of the operating system, most phones work fine.

There is/was a Libre Reader but it only uses NFC so you have to scan the sensor whenever you want to see your current BG rather than just looking at the phone. So, unless there is a reason why you cannot (or do not want to) carry a phone (e.g. during exams at school or if you work in a secure area), I would not worry about it.

I have not found a particularly bad impact on my battery considering it is constantly running and receiving data over Bluetooth. I guess it depends upon the age of your battery. However, I tend to carry a battery pack with me when I am out for the day just in case.

I have no needed any gadgets. Some people have forwarded their readings to their smart watch. This used to only be possible with third party apps such as xDrip but someone else may be able to confirm whether this is possible through the native Libre apps.

If you are reading reviews of Libre you probably come across reams of complaints that it is not accurate. There are a number of things to consider
- there are limitations with the science that is used with all CGMs. If you do not bear these in mind, you will get frustrated. The best explanation of these I have read is on another forum
- most people have no problem with the sensor staying in place but other people complain that their sensors are always falling off and need something like a strap or plaster to keep them in place. I find it is fine provided I prepare the area (make sure it is clean, dry and not greasy) before applying the sensor, place the sensor o a flat area of the arm that does not move or bend and be aware of it - door frames and bar straps seem to be the arch nemesis of Libre for some people.
- some people are just not compatible with Libre and find other CGMs such as Dexcom more accurate.
- occasionally, sensor will fail. Abbott are very good at replacing them if you report the problem via their online form.

Sorry, I have probably waffled on for too long already. But don't be afraid to ask more questions.