Newbie: My endocrine system is a bit of a mess

Chez31

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,
Im new here. A month ago I was told by the gp's receptionist (!) that amongst a whole raft of blood tests for an unrelated medical issue my doc had done a week or two previously that I had an abnormal Hbc1a result of 6%. I was on holiday at the time . When I arrived home a letter was on the door mat saying I was high risk for developing diabetes and I should join the "Healthy You" program. Quite a shock to come home to. Its taken a month to get an appt with the nurse to talk to anyone at the surgery about it .Not good enough really , and I did tell them it wasn't the nicest way to find out!.
Anyway, as Im a pro-active type of person I got myself genned up pretty much myself instead while I waited and reading this site has been a great help in introducing me to the baffling ins and outs of the blood sugar club! Ive got myself a bg meter and have cut down on my carbs . Currently getting good readings in normal range and now doing test meals where I am eating a variety of carbs to see how i respond.
I was diagnosed with an early stage gynae cancer about 9 months ago which was successfully treated by surgery with no chemo or radio but unfortunately I lost all my oestrogen and progesterone as part of this and went into sudden menopause as I had to stop my hrt. I have also been hypothyroid for over 10 years and since the cancer my thyroid levels have been unstable and I have had to reduce my thyroxine dose quite a bit in the last six months and the icing on the cake is that I have the diabetes cloud hangin over me along with all the joy? that a cancer survivor copes with!! I cant help wondering if all this endocrine turmoil over the last 9 months has somehow triggered this? Anyone else here had their prediabetes diagnosed when thyroids etc have been out of balance? I'm clinging to the vain hope that once my thyroid levels settle the perhaps my Hbc1a 's will revert back.

Last edited: