Newbie Type 2

Lorraine_45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all! I was diagnosed T2 a week ago now. My blood pressure was being regularly checked by my GP, when he decided to do a full 'MOT'. After several blood tests (x2 fasting and Hba1c amongst others) I was told I was diabetic. My GP put me on Metformin, 1 a day for a week, then 2 daily, which I'm starting today and I have an appt with the diabetic nurse next week. Not currently checking BMs though and am a bit concerned about that.

When it comes to foods, I have very little willpower - crisps are my absolute downfall :( I have been cutting down on carbs, and changed from 'whites' to 'browns' (rice/pasta/bread) as finding them hard to give up at the mo. I thought there was very little else I could eat but have been looking at some of the posts on this forum and am surprised at what there is! (worried about Christmas though with all those tempting goodies around!)

I have to say though the advice and support on here is fantastic :)

Reactions: 2 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello lorraine_45, welcome to the forum i'll get@daisy1 to post the ifo pack for new posters ,have a good read and come back with your questions , clive

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Lorraine_45 Welcome to the supporting forum. I agree there is a lot of support and useful advice.

I believe little steps at a time when it comes to converting to any new food is the only way forward. Knowing what to do is half the battle, so you are certainly on the right tracks. As others have and will suggest, getting a meter is equally as important as it will help when trying new food.

Wend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Told over the phone two weeks ago my 2nd blood test was in the diabetic range, then given times & dates for appts! Wasn't told what type I was so went to the surgery to ask the receptionist! She told me I was Type 2 . Had to build myself up to joining this forum today, feel embarrassed & like I have let myself down. Feel hopeful that I have taken a psi tube step for some real support. Appts are so far apart I can't seem to get myself focuses. Keeping all this a secret till I know what I doing!

Reactions: 4 people

Wend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Told over the phone two weeks ago my 2nd blood test was in the diabetic range, then given times & dates for appts! Wasn't told what type I was so went to the surgery to ask the receptionist! She told me I was Type 2 . Had to build myself up to joining this forum today, feel embarrassed & like I have let myself down. Feel hopeful that I have taken a psi tube step for some real support. Appts are so far apart I can't seem to get myself focuses. Keeping all this a secret till I know what I doing!
Of course I meant positive step, predictive text can be a nuisance !

HypoBand UK

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Wend Welcome to the forum and for taking the great step forward on joining. No question, is a silly question and you will receive informative and supportive replies, from a great group of people.

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Recently diagnosed myself and also felt embarrassed. The more I have read about the condition the less embarrassed I have felt. I have found this forum hugely supportive.........more so than the appointments with my health centre to be honest.

@Lorraine_45, welcome to the forum. Definitely worth checking your blood sugar levels. I found Brown Bread and pasta had the same effect on my as white bread and pasta.

Good luck to both of you.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Klangley and @Wend there is no need to feel embarrassed as it's not your fault that you have developed diabetes. I think a lot of us when first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes blame ourselves because of our diets, being over-weight, not getting enough exercise etc - this is not helped by the medical profession and the media reinforcing the notion that people with type 2 bought it on themselves, particularly as the only example of a diabetic they can find to film is a very over-weight person stuffing their face with a cream cake or burger, and, unfortunately, people often believe what they read and hear at face value without finding out the facts. My younger brother and I both developed type 2 diabetes despite eating low fat, plenty of fresh fruit, jacket potatoes and brown everything ie pasta, bread and rice - as advised by the health professionals. Our mother and maternal grandfather also had type 2 so for us there is a family link. However my sister who is, and always has been, more overweight and eats a worse diet than us is so far ok (last checked June this year). I also took statins when first diagnosed which pushed my hba1c up from 48 to 54 - I'm now off them and my hba1c is now 36 - within the non-diabetic range. Apologies for the long post but remember it's not your fault and you can control it with, ironically, a diet that the medical profession is a little slow to embrace but are getting there.

Lizmorris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm a newbie to this too. I was diagnosed type 2 a year ago. However I thought my weight was a great factor. As I didn't want to take medication I agreed to diet for 3 mths to see if weight had an effect. It did my hba1c went from 41 to 35. I then went back for some more blood tests 2 weeks ago. I had just been on holiday & this with slipping back into old routines meant my weight & blood sugar had gone up. I had a call this Friday & have agreed to try diet again before going on medication. I know it is silly but I have it in my head that I should get to 60 (1 yr to go) before needing medication.
Becoming diabetic was half expected as my mother was diet controlled diabetic & my elder sister is now type 2 on insulin. However I want to change my life style & fight off medication for as long as I can.
I believe diabetes does not change your life if controlled it just affects what you eat.
Unfortunately my husband believes as long as the medication controls his condition he can eat what he likes! I cannot change his mindset though he is altering a little in that he no longern eats 8 bars of chocolate a week! He has also started to weigh himself so I guess he is changing his ideas slowly.
Thanks for letting me ramble on.

Reactions: 6 people

MCal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My husband has been a type 2 for 10 years and as a complementary therapist I advised him to alter his diet. Perhaps I should have been more embarrassed when I was diagnosed with type 2 last month but some of us need a kick up the pants to take our own advice. Yes I am taking the advice I dished out to my husband and bless him, he is supporting me by making changes to his diet too. A good lesson for me in doing what I do not what I say.

Reactions: 4 people