Newbie wanting advice on glucose meters

molly12

Hi all,

I'm new to this, but I've been having symptoms of hypoglycemia (among other things) for quite a while and didn't know what it was until a nurse friend of mine mentioned it. I've seen a bunch of doctors but they always just tell me I'm stressed and send me away, so I wanted to start tracking my diet and blood sugar levels so I can go back and make them listen to me. :)

I've been looking for an accurate glucose meter but I'm completely clueless... does anyone have any advice? I don't need anything fancy really, just as long as it's accurate. :)

Thanks so much!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi and welcome to our forum.
I've tagged @Brunneria to give you the details of the best value monitor.

Do read about how to use it probably to find out why you believe that you are having hypoglycaemic episodes.

We have a sticky at the top of our forum page.

Again welcome!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

All the meters sold in the UK are required to be accurate to within 15%
That means that if your actual blood glucose were 10mmol/l, then the reader is allowed to give a reading between 8.5 and 11.5 mmol/l

So expecting total accuracy is not a realistic goal, I am afraid.
Having said that, because of this, most of us choose to buy cheap meters when we pay for them ourselves - since they are all approximately the same accuracy! :)

The one I use, and many other T2s around here, is the SD Codefree. It is available from Amazon, eBay and the manufacturers, Homehealth, and it works out at around half the price for 50 test strips of most other meters. Bargain, eh?

Reactions: 3 people