Newbie with alarmingly high test results

NeeNee87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your situation sounds alot like mine. I was diagnosed with T2 when I was 30 when my doc had me tested as a preventative measure. At the time my A1C came back like 12 something so really high. My fasting sugar at the time was in the 280s.

I am also very overweight and the only symptom I had was dry mouth and dry skin really. Since I went on Metformin, I tend to stay in the 8's which is definitely better.

Hopefully after a few months of meds your levels will go down and stabilize.

Reactions: HeyJude!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much for the thyroid info. My levels balanced well after the last increase so I’m hoping that will happen again but will definitely be asking more questions. Your advice helps me frame it well, so - huge thanks.

Eating out twice was fine as I did, as you suggest, look at menus before going. It took the stress out and my choices were sound - as shown by the meter. So I was pleased with that!

The wedding I’m going to next weekend will be slightly trickier but, the best news…dessert is not served, there’s a “dessert station” AND a “cheese station”. So if I’m not able to eat much of the starter or main then I’ll just look forward to ALL the cheese!!
Well done.

Eating out to begin with can be tricky, but as time goes on it gets easier.

Enjoy the wedding next weekend. If you go off piste a bit it isn't any disaster.

Reactions: HeyJude!

FearNix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you like meat, then Keto is ideal for you. In my mind Plant based is a fad, designed to push people towards Veganism. Without animal based foods, mankind would not still be here, we would have died out thousands of years ago.
Hi All,

New here and trying to navigate the Type2 Newbie maze of information. I am finding lots of good information! Thanks!

However, when I come across clear misinformation, regardless of whether it is presented kindly with useful advice ( @ajbod ), or just blindly pushing it like Propaganda, I feel the need to clear the air so that people don't go away believing in unresearched and incorrect data.

Here, ajbod is stating that it is a personal belief, which in my mind is not the bad kind of misinformation. It simply needs addressing.

To begin, I eat meat, though not as much as I have in the past. I love salad leaf (ground veg someone above titled), tomatoes, celery, radish, pimento-stuffed olives, sprinkled with sea salt and coarse ground pepper. I have a lot of friends can't stand that! (lol) Oddly, none of them have Type 2 diabetes...

I also eat a LOT of fruit: Apples, Pears, Nectarines, oranges, grapes, strawberries and blueberries are on my weekly shopping list, and I like to add one or two "new" fruits (ie, that aren't regularly on my list!). Examples: kiwi, plums, mangos, pomegranate,

Anyways, Plant-Based isn't a fad, it's an inevitability within the mess we've gotten ourselves into over the last 300 odd years. It's true that eating animal based food has aided the evolution of our brains, and identities, but there is no definitive proof that we would not have evolved or indeed survived, without it. If anything, there is much proof that we could have easily survived without, opting for a whole diet of plant-based food.

Personally, I am not keen on all these burgers which are designed to mimic meat. When I see them, it just reminds me that some of us are struggling with the idea that meat in our diets is actually hurting the planet. The methane added to the atmosphere from mega-farming animals such as cows, sheep and pigs is not just alarming, it truly is damaging the future for us, our children, and future generations. Even more alarming, something I found out recently, is the amount of methane released by rice paddy farming! I encourage all to look up.

One change I made to my diet this last year is a reduction to zero of seafood. I encourage people to track down and watch the enlightening documentary titled "Seaspiracy". In it's pursuit of how plastic waste is affecting our seas, it inadvertently uncovers facts about the seafood industry, and losing our sea-life would absolutely cause many deaths among us, if not all of us. This is my opinion, and I encourage refutation with proof.

I am not suggesting everyone give up on meat and seafood (remember I still eat meat!), but please don't flippantly imagine that it's ok, without finding information about the origin of everything you eat.

Finally, I'll add I was diagnosed with 115, being told that 55 or similar was the diabetes threshold. The Nurse then set me to test my blood sugar 3 times, and inject Insulin once per day. I started testing and recording my BG tester results and after a good long night sleep it is consistently 13.x each morning. a couple of hours after a meal, I would have 20-32, varied results. Confused, I thought that was much lower than 115 and that 55 threshold! So I didn't inject as instructed the first week, planning to bring this up with my GP. I didn't want to inject Insulin and suddenly drop below 4!

What I learned from my pharmacist, who is NOT a diabetes expert, is that normal is between 4 and 7! So what was all this 115 and 55??? No one explained that the doctor would receive 1 type of results and that I would move forward using DIFFERENT units of measurement!

Thanks to this website, I have now manged to get my head around injecting, testing, caloric intake, and other really helpful advice and information, including conversion between HbA1c and DCCT or IFCC units. I'm finally feeling less confused!

I don't know how long it will take for me to get down to between 4 and 7, but I am hopeful, and wish all the best to everyone here! :)

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@FearNix - Might I suggest that sending a polite and respectful PM to a member you have an issue with, or starting your own thread, are probably better approaches than gatecrashing a new joiner's thread with a post that's unrelated to them.

Just some friendly advice.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What carbohydrates do you suppose our distant ancestors had access to in winter.

Beating-My-Betes

If anything, there is much proof that we could have easily survived without, opting for a whole diet of plant-based food.
'We' (In inverted commas 'cause humans diverged and evolved in various parts of the globe. So there is no 'WE') evolved as scavenging trash-compactors who would eat anything that could effectively make the journey between our upper and lower holes, without killing us, and to keep us alive long enough to spawn/sire our progeny. Both the keto and vegan WOE are human constructs and borne of affluence. No being who has truly known starvation would make the decision to avoid any energy source, unless they knew it'd kill them.

We didn't evolve as vegans and wouldn't have survived without meat. Ditto for anyone who thinks we evolved as keto/carni-vores. These are narratives designed to sell books and strengthen dietary tribes...nothing else.

What real paleo (wo)man would've had to do to survive is not anything any current so-called carnivore or vegan are ever likely to experience, nor would bare to contemplate...and that's a good thing.

Of course it's not unfeasible for people to thrive on either WOE, within our current First/Western world.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, can we get back on topic please, this thread derailment isn’t very helpful to @HeyJude! who is a new member and just learning about their diabetes. You are welcome to start a new thread with your discussions on the ins and outs of vegan diets versus other ways of eating, but let’s keep this thread for answering the the OPs question

Cheers lovinglife on behalf of the mod team

pinkjude

Hi , I am recently diagnosed type 2. My blood test reading was 50. I am not on meds & have already lost 2 stone ( am overweight still)before diagnosis with Slimming World. I was told by my DN I don’t need to finger prick . Is doing a low carb diet enough to bring figures down? I am finding it all a bit of a minefield at the mo.
its important to finger prick because thats how you work out what foods suit you. They tell us not too. I didnt and my numbers went high. If I had been testing I would have realised and taken action

Reactions: HeyJude! and Paul_