Newbie with alarmingly high test results

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can then review again in early Oct…I’ll also hopefully know for sure by then that this is type 2.
So if you are diagnosed T2 rather than T1 then with hard work there is every chance you can reduce or even come off your meds.

And if it turns out you're a different type, we've got your back all the same. ;)

Mr Clean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey Jude.

Like yourself, I have recently (29th Aug) been diagnosed Diabetic. (Type II for me) I went to the doctors because I have Psoriasis and it was starting to get out of control. I mentioned while I was there that I was tired all the time, extremely thirsty and had lost a lot of weight in the recent months without really trying. This time last year I was 18.6St, I'm currently 15.11St. The doctor sent me for a blood test and my results came back high, like yours. In fact, the same result 112.

My eating lifestyle has always been a bit of a problem with over eating, eating too much rubbish, sweet things, lots of carbs and I always drank Coca Cola, everyday and lots of it. I never counted carbs or really had any idea what the amount of carbs you eat do to your body. I just ate what I wanted. Since seeing the diabetic nurse I have felt more confident that I can overcome this disease with the knowledge I have been given.

3 weeks in, I've stopped drinking the pop, I'm counting my carbs per meal and snacks and hopefully will see some results in my next blood test. The diabetic nurse recommended me keeping my daily carb intake to around 150g. I was given Metformin and I'm currently on 3 pills per day. (Luckily, no side effects.)

Eating well, counting the carbs and a little extra exercise, we can do this!

HeyJude!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey Jude.

Like yourself, I have recently (29th Aug) been diagnosed Diabetic. (Type II for me) I went to the doctors because I have Psoriasis and it was starting to get out of control. I mentioned while I was there that I was tired all the time, extremely thirsty and had lost a lot of weight in the recent months without really trying. This time last year I was 18.6St, I'm currently 15.11St. The doctor sent me for a blood test and my results came back high, like yours. In fact, the same result 112.

My eating lifestyle has always been a bit of a problem with over eating, eating too much rubbish, sweet things, lots of carbs and I always drank Coca Cola, everyday and lots of it. I never counted carbs or really had any idea what the amount of carbs you eat do to your body. I just ate what I wanted. Since seeing the diabetic nurse I have felt more confident that I can overcome this disease with the knowledge I have been given.

3 weeks in, I've stopped drinking the pop, I'm counting my carbs per meal and snacks and hopefully will see some results in my next blood test. The diabetic nurse recommended me keeping my daily carb intake to around 150g. I was given Metformin and I'm currently on 3 pills per day. (Luckily, no side effects.)

Hey, Mr Clean!

I have a high result twin. Yay! The onyl way is down, right?
I'm 5 days in and, I think, I've been nailing it!! My levels seem to be going down in response to a very low carb/high fat diet (around 50g carbs a day at the moment). Luckily no side effects from the Gliclazide either. I'm going to ask about Metformin once they have established if I'm type 2 - see if it gives me an extra push.

I'm also dropping weight already. I'm finding it surprsingly freeing to be concentrating on my carbs and blood levels, rather than calories and the scales.

Good luck on your journey, stay in touch! I agree we can absolutely do this and the inspiring stories on this forum really gave me hope. This forum also gave me all the answers I needed to my approach.
I'm at the pub tonight and then out to dinner the next two nights, which will be a challenge, but will be keeping a very close eye on levels so I can see how my body reacts. "Eat to the meter" is such a brilliant phrase.

Thansk for posting!

Bubsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi , I am recently diagnosed type 2. My blood test reading was 50. I am not on meds & have already lost 2 stone ( am overweight still)before diagnosis with Slimming World. I was told by my DN I don’t need to finger prick . Is doing a low carb diet enough to bring figures down? I am finding it all a bit of a minefield at the mo.

Reactions: Paul_

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the same time they decided to do general bloods which came back yesterday: Hba1C: 112 plus elevated liver test result. Called to see diabetic nurse straight away.

They think I have type 2 but have now done another test (Gad?) to check it's not type 1. (I don't know family history due to a complicated background)

My fingerprick test in the surgery yesterday was 17. Today, before breakfast it was 18.9. I have been asked to test pre-breakfast and pre-dinner.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan for now? Is there anything else anyone thinks I should be doing in the short term whilst trying to get my head round this?

I'd hugely appreciate advice, and some hope. The more I read, the more my current figures terrify me.
Welcome Jude, you've come to the right place.

My hba1c on diagnosis in July was 83, with results indicating a fatty liver, and my fingerprick results were within the same ballpark as yours. I went low carb and over just 2-3 weeks my fingerprick results reduced significantly. I've lost almost 3 stone since July now too, plus my blood pressure has reduced so I've been taken off one of my three medications for that.

You can do this, Jude. Your plan is very sound, combine it with the great advice you've had from others here and there'll be no stopping you. Take the good days when you get them and try not to worry about the bad days too much. It's so difficult at the start, but like you I found this forum and the amazing people here have made things so much easier. Lastly, remember, there aren't "bad" results and readings, they're just data points that allow you to make informed and better decisions!

Having lost 5 stone on a low carb diet, one word of advice - don't buy new clothes use a charity shop until you have got to the weight you are happy with.
Good luck
Or, if you want to go my route, don't buy any new clothes, walk around drowning in your larger clothes, buy a good belt, and enjoy the scathing looks from your other half when you say "not just yet, maybe after I've lost a few more pounds", every time they heckle you about new clothes shopping.

The scathing looks are one of my main motivations for weight loss now, possibly even more so than managing my diabetes at this point! :)

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi , I am recently diagnosed type 2. My blood test reading was 50. I am not on meds & have already lost 2 stone ( am overweight still)before diagnosis with Slimming World. I was told by my DN I don’t need to finger prick . Is doing a low carb diet enough to bring figures down? I am finding it all a bit of a minefield at the mo.
Hi Bubsy, welcome.

You'll receive a lot of advice from the NHS regarding diabetes, they can't seem to detach themselves from the thought that carbs are awesome for diabetics. Now I'd never recommend people ignore medical professionals, I wouldn't presume to know more than them, but all I can say is that for diet I've gone my own way down the low carb path and it's been very effective at lowering my blood glucose levels. I also decided to follow the advice on this forum and buy a blood glucose meter, so I could see how meals were affecting me.

Anyway, I was only diagnosed in July, but there are loads of people here who are very experienced with managing diabetes through diet. Have a look around, ask any questions you have, and have a read of the success stories threads here.

Last edited:

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Jude.

I'm guessing that for you, 150g carbs per day is a lower carb diet! You should be seeing the effect on the scales fairly quickly if it's not too high for you - low / lower carb leads to losing weight until you reach a balance point. Then you either decide your weight is appropriate, or further adjust your diet.

Reactions: Grandma Misti

Mr Clean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey, Mr Clean!

I have a high result twin. Yay! The onyl way is down, right?
I'm 5 days in and, I think, I've been nailing it!! My levels seem to be going down in response to a very low carb/high fat diet (around 50g carbs a day at the moment). Luckily no side effects from the Gliclazide either. I'm going to ask about Metformin once they have established if I'm type 2 - see if it gives me an extra push.

I'm also dropping weight already. I'm finding it surprsingly freeing to be concentrating on my carbs and blood levels, rather than calories and the scales.

Good luck on your journey, stay in touch! I agree we can absolutely do this and the inspiring stories on this forum really gave me hope. This forum also gave me all the answers I needed to my approach.
I'm at the pub tonight and then out to dinner the next two nights, which will be a challenge, but will be keeping a very close eye on levels so I can see how my body reacts. "Eat to the meter" is such a brilliant phrase.

Thansk for posting!
Hey Jude.

The only way is indeed down. It's good that you have no side effects. I was worried after reading stories about my medication but luckily I've had nothing, which is unusual because me and medication don't often get on.

It is a real eye opener when you start scrutinising food and checking the carbs but makes you feel better when you stick to your goals in a day. There's a really good book my nurse told me about, Carbs & Cals - Carb & Calorie Counter, that is amazing and worth checking out. It literally tells you everything food wise.

Good luck to you on your journey. We got this!

I'm guessing that for you, 150g carbs per day is a lower carb diet! You should be seeing the effect on the scales fairly quickly if it's not too high for you - low / lower carb leads to losing weight until you reach a balance point. Then you either decide your weight is appropriate, or further adjust your diet.
There was no mention of diet, as such, it was just the figure the diabetic nurse would like to see me stick to for my daily intake of carbs. I'm only 3 weeks in and it's all very new to me. I'm just doing as I'm told and hopefully the results will speak for themselves. I see the nurse again in a couple of weeks. The weight has been coming off me for a while without any special kind of dieting.

• Friendly
Reactions: Outlier

HeyJude!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey Jude.

The only way is indeed down. It's good that you have no side effects. I was worried after reading stories about my medication but luckily I've had nothing, which is unusual because me and medication don't often get on.

It is a real eye opener when you start scrutinising food and checking the carbs but makes you feel better when you stick to your goals in a day. There's a really good book my nurse told me about, Carbs & Cals - Carb & Calorie Counter, that is amazing and worth checking out. It literally tells you everything food wise.

Good luck to you on your journey. We got this!

There was no mention of diet, as such, it was just the figure the diabetic nurse would like to see me stick to for my daily intake of carbs. I'm only 3 weeks in and it's all very new to me. I'm just doing as I'm told and hopefully the results will speak for themselves. I see the nurse again in a couple of weeks. The weight has been coming off me for a while without any special kind of dieting.
Yes, I'd also got worried about side effects especially as my thyroid meds ahve gone up at the same time. But hoping to have got away with it!

Thanks for the book tip - sounds great. Will check it out.

HeyJude!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome Jude, you've come to the right place.

My hba1c on diagnosis in July was 83, with results indicating a fatty liver, and my fingerprick results were within the same ballpark as yours. I went low carb and over just 2-3 weeks my fingerprick results reduced significantly. I've lost almost 3 stone since July now too, plus my blood pressure has reduced so I've been taken off one of my three medications for that.

You can do this, Jude. Your plan is very sound, combine it with the great advice you've had from others here and there'll be no stopping you. Take the good days when you get them and try not to worry about the bad days too much. It's so difficult at the start, but like you I found this forum and the amazing people here have made things so much easier. Lastly, remember, there aren't "bad" results and readings, they're just data points that allow you to make informed and better decisions!

Or, if you want to go my route, don't buy any new clothes, walk around drowning in your larger clothes, buy a good belt, and enjoy the scathing looks from your other half when you say "not just yet, maybe after I've lost a few more pounds", every time they heckle you about new clothes shopping.

The scathing looks are one of my main motivations for weight loss now, possibly even more so than managing my diabetes at this point! :)
3 stone since July? Wowsers! Fair play. I'm taking heart from all these incredible stories.

My levels are already coming down, which is incredibly satisfying. Seeing the nurse again in 2 weeks so am hoping for a Gold Star!

I also love your approach to good/bad days. Will hang on to that. There are bound to be minor blips (eg I have a family wedding next weekend) but, you're right, it's just data points and I will control them as much as possible by just making the best choices I can.

As for clothes, I have so many stashed in those sucky bag things that don't fit any more....looking forward to getting them back out and then, eventually, getting rid of those too!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
had lost a lot of weight in the recent months without really trying
Hello Mr Clean and welcome.
Although you have been diagnosed as T2, because of that weightloss, you just might possibly find that in future they change that to T1. T1 can be slow to develop and go in fits and spurts so it's quite common to be rediagnosed later. Just have a read around and keep a weather eye open in case you suddenly start going hypo.
Have you go a meter to check your own bg levels? And one to check for ketones? NHS won't prescribe those for T2s but they are relatively cheap. The Caresens Duo does both although the bg strips can be a little more expensive than the single bg meters.
Lots to learn, either way, and plenty of help and support on here

Reactions: Mr Clean

HeyJude!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Bubsy,

I was lucky that I was given a blood sugar monitor by the nurse. Was told to test twice a day (to see the effects of the meds) but I currently do it 6 times a day having read all the amazing advcie here. It's fascinating seeing the difference each meal makes.

I am convinced low carb is the way forward and it's having great results for me already. AND I actually feel better already.

Had I not been given a monitor I would have definitely invested in one to be able to understand what is working for me.

Congrats on the weight loss with Slimming World. I did it for a while but the 'free' carbs clearly didn't work for me as my results were soooooo slow. And
now I understannd why....

Best of luck with your journey. Keep reading these forums and it will all gradually become clearer. The people here are amazing -such a supportive community.

• Friendly
Reactions: Paul_

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@HeyJude! , welcome to the forum.

One of the great things about here is there are lots and lots and lots of folks who have already been where you are today and are keen to share their lived experiences.

I won't drone on about diet because you seem to have had a fair steer in terms of reasonable things for you to try to get you moving in the right direction.

In terms of your thyroid, the thyroid is a cornerstone of our metabolic health, so getting it better medicated will help you out. It won't be the whole answer to your current challenges, but it'll help oil the cogs, so to speak.

Don't worry about the amounts of thyroid medication you are taking, or eventually take. You need what you need.

There is a rule of thumb that doctors sometimes use to guestimate how much levothyroxine a person might need to level up their thyroid results. It runs at around 1.6 to 1.7 microgrammes of levothyroxine, per kilo of body weight, per day. Some need more or less than this.

For instance, I'm a little person, weighing, for simplicity 50kg. That would suggest I should need around 80mcgr levothyroxine per day, whe I actually take 125mcgr, plus another hormone, Liothyronine. So, we need what we need.

If another couple of increases don't see you in a decent place, please do ask that you have a full thyroid panel, to include T4, T3 and antibodies, just to be sure what the root cause of your wonky thyroid actually is. However, don't expect any of that to be quick. Sorting out a naughty thyroid gland can take many months.

Finally, when going out to restaurants, or such like, I found, and still do find it worth looking up their website, if they have one, and making some preliminary choices. It can save a lot of turmoil, trying to guess which are the lower carb options. It's not always possible, and sometimes we just have to completely wing it.

There will be mistakes, but what the heck. We're all human. We all make mistakes, take wrong turns and see unwelcome numbers on the blood glucose meter, but we just have to shake it off and go again.

You'll be fine.

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A diet is simply how you eat, not necessarily a reducing diet.

Mr Clean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Mr Clean and welcome.
Although you have been diagnosed as T2, because of that weightloss, you just might possibly find that in future they change that to T1. T1 can be slow to develop and go in fits and spurts so it's quite common to be rediagnosed later. Just have a read around and keep a weather eye open in case you suddenly start going hypo.
Have you go a meter to check your own bg levels? And one to check for ketones? NHS won't prescribe those for T2s but they are relatively cheap. The Caresens Duo does both although the bg strips can be a little more expensive than the single bg meters.
Lots to learn, either way, and plenty of help and support on here

Hi MrsA2

Thank you for the welcome. The Nurse ddid talk about the possibility of the diagnosis being changed at a later date. She also talked about, what scientist are starting to believe, that there may be a Type 1.5 variant of it. I've had no hypos as yet. For the first week I had a really dizzy head and felt spaced out a lot but I put that down to quitting the full sugar Cola and having no Caffeine. Since then and with the Meds, I have been fine, not thirsty all the time, not feeling worn out all day and sleeping much better at night. (Although I am a bit of a night owl)

I don't have a test kit as the Nurse and the Pharmacist told me I don't need one. I could get one myself though.

A diet is simply how you eat, not necessarily a reducing diet.
Yeah, I know that. I just mean't there was no mention of diet to lose weight.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had no hypos as yet.
If I read correctly that you're on metformin only, there shouldn't be any risk of hypos, no matter what type of diabetes you have.
I don't have a test kit as the Nurse and the Pharmacist told me I don't need one. I could get one myself though.
Testing before and after meals can be very helpful to work out what works for you!

HeyJude!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@HeyJude! , welcome to the forum.

One of the great things about here is there are lots and lots and lots of folks who have already been where you are today and are keen to share their lived experiences.

I won't drone on about diet because you seem to have had a fair steer in terms of reasonable things for you to try to get you moving in the right direction.

In terms of your thyroid, the thyroid is a cornerstone of our metabolic health, so getting it better medicated will help you out. It won't be the whole answer to your current challenges, but it'll help oil the cogs, so to speak.

Don't worry about the amounts of thyroid medication you are taking, or eventually take. You need what you need.

There is a rule of thumb that doctors sometimes use to guestimate how much levothyroxine a person might need to level up their thyroid results. It runs at around 1.6 to 1.7 microgrammes of levothyroxine, per kilo of body weight, per day. Some need more or less than this.

For instance, I'm a little person, weighing, for simplicity 50kg. That would suggest I should need around 80mcgr levothyroxine per day, whe I actually take 125mcgr, plus another hormone, Liothyronine. So, we need what we need.

If another couple of increases don't see you in a decent place, please do ask that you have a full thyroid panel, to include T4, T3 and antibodies, just to be sure what the root cause of your wonky thyroid actually is. However, don't expect any of that to be quick. Sorting out a naughty thyroid gland can take many months.

Finally, when going out to restaurants, or such like, I found, and still do find it worth looking up their website, if they have one, and making some preliminary choices. It can save a lot of turmoil, trying to guess which are the lower carb options. It's not always possible, and sometimes we just have to completely wing it.

There will be mistakes, but what the heck. We're all human. We all make mistakes, take wrong turns and see unwelcome numbers on the blood glucose meter, but we just have to shake it off and go again.

You'll be fine.
Thanks so much for the thyroid info. My levels balanced well after the last increase so I’m hoping that will happen again but will definitely be asking more questions. Your advice helps me frame it well, so - huge thanks.

Eating out twice was fine as I did, as you suggest, look at menus before going. It took the stress out and my choices were sound - as shown by the meter. So I was pleased with that!

The wedding I’m going to next weekend will be slightly trickier but, the best news…dessert is not served, there’s a “dessert station” AND a “cheese station”. So if I’m not able to eat much of the starter or main then I’ll just look forward to ALL the cheese!!

• Winner
Reactions: Paul_ and Antje77