Newbie with Gestational Diabetes. Help! Clueless!!

Hi there Everyone!
I'm Lindsey & I was told on tuesday that I have Gestational Diabetes after a reading of 8.2 came back from my glucose test. I'm 30 weeks preggers & couldn't go to my antenatal diabetes clinic yesterday as I may also have chicken pox and couldn't risk spreading it to other pregnant ladies.
So I'm still awaiting a call to see what I have to do re diet etc and presumably get a testing kit???
I'm a little clueless to all this. Any advise would be gratefully received.
I've followed diets before so always look at fat and calories in things, am I looking at the Cabohydrates (of which sugars) bit or is it overall carbs that people see as bad?? Sorry, i really don't know, I love Carbs too!! Especially whilst I'm soo hungry when preggers! Boohoo!!
I eat pretty well on the healthy low fat/calories side of things as I've been a "Weight Watcher" in the past but figure this to be a whole different kettle of fish??!!
Many Thanks for reading this far
From a rather round Lindsey and her Bumpy x
:?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi yummitymummity and welcome to the forum.

You might be lucky and be given a blood test monitor, but many doctors are now recommending that patients don't use them on cost grounds - they won't pay for the test strips on prescription. On this forum we are firmly of the opinion that anyone with diabetes has no chance of managing their blood sugars without a test monitor, so it may be that you have to buy your own monitor and test strips. If that is the case then check with your local chemists which monitor takes the cheapest test strips.

Have a good look round the various subject forums and I am sure you will find plenty to interest and/or amuse you. There is a Gestational Diabetes forum that might be or particular interested to you.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi yummitymummity.

Welcome and congratulations on your forthcoming big day. :D

As a mere male of the species I have no idea what advice to give - other than keep a spare pair of bootlaces and scissors handy. :lol: ( emergency child birth kit )

You will soon be given more info than your brain can take in all at once. Just read the threads and make your own choices . There are some very knowledgeable people here. you are never on your own - Just ask.

Ken :D

jopar

Hi Linsey welcome to the forum and the pending little one…

I’m assuming that they are just looking at adjusting your daily diet, to bring your sugar levels to a better level for you..

The main thing is if you have sugar in your tea/coffee you’ll need to stop, avoid sweets, biscuits and cakes, foods with high sugar content…

At this stage you might only have to adjust your eating habits slightly, by choosing foods that don’t hit the blood sugars too quickly, the GI index is a good source of finding out what different foods do what..

As times it is just the case of cutting back portions sizes of particular types of carbs, to portions that the body can handle much easier… It could be that you’ll need to cut back on potatoes, and increase the portion size of the meat and veg part of the meal…

In pregnancy they do tend to be more pro-active in how they monitor you, they are likely to give you a meter and strips for monitoring purposes, and don’t be surprised if the arrange more frequent appointments to monitor your progress through out the rest of the pregnancy…

When I had my children (3, the last 2 with my diabetes) it was a bit of a nightmare, as clinics weren’t that well organised, so not only did I have to have extra anti-natal appointments but also attend the diabetic clinic separately on another day, even the extra scans that I used to have meant that I had to travel to another hospital to have the scan and go back to anti-natal clinic for the results… Now they have a purpose clinic that deals with the difficult pregnancies, where all the relevant consultants etc are present…

sandymaynard

Hi
I had genstational diabeties, The only problem is that my little one was born bigger than he should of been! He ended up a whopping 12lbs 10oz's! Natural birth!
Other tahn being big he was a beautiful baby! My advice is avoid sugar where possible, Don't drink too much coffee! I didnot find out until i was 36 weeks preggies!
At the end of the day just cut down the amount of carbs that you eat! and look forward to the birth of your little one! MY mum is type 1 diabettic she had me! I was a big baby i weighed 9lbs 10oz's! So long as you take it easy and take care of yourself, don't push yourself you will be okay!
If you buy yourself a meter from local chemist and explain to your gp that you want to keep a close eye on your blood glucose they will help!
Congratulations on being preggies, most wonderful gift in the world!

Thanks guys for your replies! What are the bootlaces and scissors for in the emergency delivery kit I wonder? Sounds a bit dodgy if you ask me! Ouch!
I'm a little worried over the big baby Idea as I'm sure they are now gonna definately want to give me a C-section again. When I had my first, I had an emergency section and they already have one booked for me at 5 days over my due date! I asked for at least a chance to go "naturally" but think that once my consultant gets a whiff of diabetes in the air she'll be ready to get me booked in for a 38 week slice "n" Dice, especially if he's anywhere near 12lbs 10ozs! Ouch!! Still, will see how he grows, they might let me go "au naturel"! All that matters is that Bambino is fit and healthy isn't it!!
I am having an appointment next wednesday now so will find out whether I get one of these monitors or not. In the meantime I shall take a look around on here and check out the Gi index too. Thanks everyone for the welcome and I'll keep you all posted!
love Linz x

sandymaynard

Hi there
my friend was picked up before mine was1 Her little girl was born 6lb's 6oz bless her! We gave birth 4 hours apart! i was there for her, but she could not be there for me as she was asleep after giving birth to her little one!
Can't beleive my one is 17 years old now! Time flies when you are having fun!
I am sure that your's won't be as big as mine i was left too late to pick up on!
Just enjoy putting your feet up and enjoying being preggies i love that! Only got the one!
He is my little angel, well maybe not little at 6ft 3inches! He is a healthy 12 stones 4lbs, now! he is so well behaved!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Linz.

What are the bootlaces and scissors for in the emergency delivery kit I wonder? Sounds a bit dodgy if you ask me! Ouch!

I kid you not. Back in the 70's that was the emergency child birth kit - why do you think Coppers wore lace up boots ? Just think what would need tying up at each side after the birth then separating, hence the scissors. I can assure you it does work, although todays Health and Safety crowd would have a fit .
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ken

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
2 shoe laces to tie off the cord in 2 places and scissors to cut it after it stops pulsing. the boiling water is for cups of tea and cleaning up

Trinkwasser

Dennis said:
You might be lucky and be given a blood test monitor, but many doctors are now recommending that patients don't use them on cost grounds - they won't pay for the test strips on prescription. On this forum we are firmly of the opinion that anyone with diabetes has no chance of managing their blood sugars without a test monitor, so it may be that you have to buy your own monitor and test strips. If that is the case then check with your local chemists which monitor takes the cheapest test strips.

That's one case where you might be more lucky. Depends on postcode of course but gestational diabetes is often controlled very tightly, even to the extent of temporary insulin.

If you *do* get a meter and strips, fight like hell to stop them being taken away after the birth

Tilnoom

My previous daughter was 11lb 10 1/2oz at 38 weeks (c-section, they knew she was big already hehe). No GD diagnosed though with her so they are keeping a super keen eye on me this time around :) I was diagnosed this time at 26 weeks and am now 33 weeks. I've been given the whole kit - monitor, test strips, 2x pens, 2x types of insulin, sharps box, needles a plenty and the whole blooming lot available on repeat prescription. Job done!

Due to my previous baby size, I am having additional scans monthly and also seeing the diabetes team while I am there. They are available by phone whenever I have any concerns too which is super duper so you may find you get similar treatment (postcode dependant of course!!).

Cut out the obvious sugary things like chocy, sugar, yogurts (might be low fat but they are teeming with sugar!). Brown bread is better than white too. Obviously opt for diet coke instead of full fat and check some squashes before you drink (high juice = bad!). I've adjusted the portion sizes on my plate too as I'm not great meat lover, I've reduced the number of potatoes on my plate but loaded it up with veg instead. I've not adjusted my diet too much really and do still indulge in the odd chocy bar... its just not a daily (hourly? :p) occurance now :)

Tils.

Tazmin

I was diabetic with last pregnancy and probably wiht this one too, just awaiting results. But i'm a total sweet tooth nut! Found it difficult. I switched to sweetener in my tea (silver spoon is the best (if in uk)), as snacks had scones with marge and garibaldi biscuits. Tried the diabetic chocolate too which is edible if desparate for something sweet! Still all worth it in the end, I managed a induced birth on due date with a baby of 8.b 9.

Good luck
Tazmin

princesss01

Hi, just to let you know that if you keep blood sugars in control you shouldn't have a big baby!! I had Gestational diabetes twice and my babies were 7.9 1/2lb and 8lb which are both pretty average. I was induced 2 weeks early with both of them. Hope tat put your mind at ease lol! :)