Newbie with more questions than answers :-)

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello All

This time last week I was advised ( albeit in the most throw away comment way possible) that I was diabetic. Throw away comment was because I had already seen Doc for one thing and then asked about my regular blood test. First word was diabetes and conversation didn't really flow from the Doc after that (guessing we were out of time)

So he didn't say which type, just that I should book with nurse, I am guessing type 2 as I am a big lad 5ft 10 weight 18st 7 at time of diagnosis.

He didn't take me through results but I see 6.9 highlighted

Googled this at home in my panic and assume this is the hba1c test.

Week has passed , what have I done

Spoke to brother who also has type 2 he suggested low carb diet.
Bought and read reversing diabetes diet (Dr David Cavan, interesting read)
I have now modified my diet and log food in MyFitnessPal ( circa 1600 calories a day)
Have lost a few pounds
Purchased blood monitor and tested this yesterday

Before lunch 4.9
2hrs after 7.1

Before dinner 4.6
2hrs after 5.7

Fasting measurement this morning 4.9

Main question for today is around how I felt after lunch today
Basically lightheaded and tired. I am confused as I seem to feel worse than when eating loads of carbs and I guess would have been spiking after those normally. However my Symptoms seem to suggest Hypo

So ideally trying to understand more about that feeling and people's experiences and or advise that can be given to me at the start of this journey.

Best regards to all

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, if your metre isn't showing results under 4 youre not hypo. As a diabetic treated by diet only you have no more risk of going hypo than anyone else on the street. If anything your risk of low blood sugar is probably lower as a diabetic because diabetes is a condition of high blood sugar.

Your numbers look great. It's possible that your body isn't used to those nice normal numbers and because it's used to running higher it's giving you hypo symptoms at normal numbers, that's a "false hypo". To get over that you just need to put up with it an let your body get used to those nice levels.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Looseboy .. and welcome
Your experience with your doc is, sadly, not unusual but you have made the best move coming here .. so ask your questions and be assured that there are plenty of folk who will provide you with the answers that you need ..

Managing and controlling your diabetes through exercise, diet and testing your Blood Glucose seems to be the best way forward. For me, committing to an LCHF (Low Carb High Fat) lifestyle and testing 3-5 times a day seems to be working and you'll find that there is a wealth of info, relevant advice and positive support about LCHF on the forum ..

I have tagged @daisy1 for you and I would suggest that you read up on the Low Carb Program in the information that she will soon be sending you. You might also find the discussion on the Low Carb Diet forum helpful .. and the following websites ...
Low Carb Intro and Information
Low Carbs in 60 Seconds

Hope this helps
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

Reactions: Prem51

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Well, if your metre isn't showing results under 4 youre not hypo. As a diabetic treated by diet only you have no more risk of going hypo than anyone else on the street. If anything your risk of low blood sugar is probably lower as a diabetic because diabetes is a condition of high blood sugar.

Your numbers look great. It's possible that your body isn't used to those nice normal numbers and because it's used to running higher it's giving you hypo symptoms at normal numbers, that's a "false hypo". To get over that you just need to put up with it an let your body get used to those nice levels.

Thanks Catapillar

Sound advice and much appreciated

I will crack on with what I am doing and monitor

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks Geordie_P

Understood regarding medical advice but all experiences and opinions help

I too had the same thoughts based on my limited reading, but no complacency.

This is either my diagnosis or very loud warning shot to change my lifestyle.

I will just to continue to modify my diet and track numbers

I will also try some things like rice and bread and see what happens to the numbers

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Geordie_P

Understood regarding medical advice but all experiences and opinions help

I too had the same thoughts based on my limited reading, but no complacency.

This is either my diagnosis or very loud warning shot to change my lifestyle.

I will just to continue to modify my diet and track numbers

I will also try some things like rice and bread and see what happens to the numbers

Yes, that's exactly it- diagnosis or warning shot. Your figures make me think that you might be pre-diabetic or borderline, and you might have a decent shot at reversing this. I got diagnosed with my type 2 quite early and managed to reverse it with diet- I was 5'10 and 16 stone, fasting bg of 13 point something.
I think if you cut the carbs, your weight will drop and your blood readings will come down, also, if you're anything like me, you'll find it easier than you thought.
I did it like this: no grains, nothing made of grains (pasta, bread etc), nothing sugary, no fruit, no milk, no peas/beans etc, and try to avoid anything that grows underground (so lettuce is fine but carrots are a bit starchy, pistachio nuts are fine but peanuts are a bit starchy) And that was about it. My weight plummeted from 16 to 12 stone, and I wasn't particularly hungry while doing it.

Reactions: Prem51 and Looseboy

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Looseboy

Hello Looseboy and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask more questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Looseboy and welcome to the forum. You need to get the actualtest result figures from your GP surgery. They are supposed to be accessible online - ask if they are and get access. If not, ask for a printout.
6.9mmol/L would be a pre-diabetic figure, but 6.9% would be in the HbA1c (CCCT) range whic is diabetic.
Well done on taking action to lower your blood sugar levels, you will get a lot of good advice and support on here.
The lightheadedness might be due to 'carb flu' which some people experience when beginning low carb eating. It's because your body is adjusting to your new way of eating, and should pass after a few days.

Reactions: Looseboy

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Looseboy
<<<<.......>>>
The lightheadedness might be due to 'carb flu' which some people experience when beginning low carb eating. It's because your body is adjusting to your new way of eating, and should pass after a few days.
This is often reported by new starters to an LC diet, and is a probable source of your discomfort. The LCHF forum here has lots of advice, and increasing salt intake and drinking more water may help reduce the flu' symptoms. it soon passes.

Reactions: Looseboy and Prem51

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good start you have made - you don't mention how low carb you have gone ?- as mentioned before you may go through an adaptation period when low carb for the first time, as you become fat adapted this will pass - stick with it- it should pass - for me it was 2-3 weeks, then started to feel like I had a lot more energy, and also felt no hunger - I upped water intake, and increased salt intake too, I found this helped get through the first couple of weeks - plenty of advice from the good folk on here to help if you need it. I am a

Reactions: Prem51 and Liam1955

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Looseboy - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :).

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks @Element137 and @Liam1955

Feeling a little better at the moment and would say I am getting used to lower carbs, although not removing them as have tried Rice and low GI role from the bakers.

Below is an update on my bloods as I purchased a monitor.

These look ok based on what I am reading and if anything make me more confused as no spikes ( which I am of course very pleased by). Will be discussing with the nurse at my appointment on the 11th May.

According to Myfitnesspal I am around 80g of carbs per day.

upload_2017-5-8_12-27-4.png

Reactions: Ultramum and Prem51

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @Looseboy - Your blood glucose results are all within range = Well Done :).

For Type 2:
Before Meals = between 4 - 7.
2 hours After Meals = between 4 - 8.5. (Though some aim for 4 - 9.= like myself)

Last edited:

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
An excellent set of results. You don't record what you ate, it may be useful when looking for a retrospective pattern and we often forget what we had to eat a couple of days ago. Be prepared to be confused when you have your appointment with the diabetic nurse, they may try to tell you to eat more 'good carbs' and to stop monitoring yourself so often. The easiest thing is to agree but stick with what you find works for you., remember - they may advise but it is your choice whether you follow the advice or not. Maybe I am just being Sussex and 'Sussex won't be druv'!

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
An excellent set of results. You don't record what you ate, it may be useful when looking for a retrospective pattern and we often forget what we had to eat a couple of days ago. Be prepared to be confused when you have your appointment with the diabetic nurse, they may try to tell you to eat more 'good carbs' and to stop monitoring yourself so often. The easiest thing is to agree but stick with what you find works for you., remember - they may advise but it is your choice whether you follow the advice or not. Maybe I am just being Sussex and 'Sussex won't be druv'!

Many thanks @Pheonix55

I record everything I eat in Myfitnesspal including my daily Blood readings in the notes tab. I just wanted to draw the blood tests into one sheet for quick refernce

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good results so far- well done - its surprising how quickly the levels can drop when carbs are restricted - I still cant get my head around why this is still not mainstream advice !