magicmaxmagic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, well received a call from my doctor last week to say my pre diabetes is now type 2. She said the cut off for pre is 48 and I am 49. She offered me metformin but I said I’d do by diet. My difficulty is… my child has diagnosed sleep dysfunction and my other child is autistic. Thus we have a kind of stressful home life some days and I have interrupted sleep. My genetic make up is also half Chinese. My diet as far as I am aware is ok but there is room for improvement Ie all my meals we make fresh but yes say a roast I’ll have a couple of potatoes and a Yorkshire, yes if we go to the seaside prob once every 8 weeks I’ll have fish and chips, but we don’t get takeouts say more than once every six weeks. I walk my dogs 5k daily. My gp has mentioned an nhs meal replacement scheme that she is going to put me forward for. She said I can’t help it as probably genetic and hormonal. She just also scared me a lot telling me to tell car insurance and travel insurance. Has anyone had the meal replacements? Would be interested to know how it went please. Thank you for reading am just in shock really xx

• Hug
Reactions: JAT1

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @magicmaxmagic and welome. 49 is only just into the diagnosis and having found your way here already you're on the right track.

Could you help with a bit more info? Are you over weight? If so by much? What do you typically eat in a day?
There's no right or wrong answers, just helps us help you :)

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have to inform your car insurers, but they cannot discriminate against you, so it has no bearing on cost. However it does have an impact on travel and life insurance costs.
The meal replacements i assume is the 800 calorie program, i would guess you must be at least slightly overweight to be offered the starvation diet;). At such a low diagnostic level, reducing carbs and substituting extra protein and natural fat, should be all you need to put it back in it's box.
Welcome aboard, and ask away any questions however silly you may think they are, they're NOT, if you don't know the answer, then you will need to be advised to lay your mind at rest. We all went through it, so fully understand.

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's important to advise insurers, though, then there is no wiggle room for them if you need to claim.