Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I'm 31 and was diagnosed as type 1 on 20th January. I have spent the last 5 weeks fighting my blood/sugar to try and get it down into single figures. A battle I'm losing!! Part of the issue is that I also have an overactive thyroid so apparently that is messing with my metabolism and affecting how I respond to insulin. My diabetc nurse has been fab, but I feel like I'm way behind where I should be. We haven't looked at carb counting, regulating dose etc. At the moment I take 14 units of levemir morning and night and with meals I take novorapid, a standard of 6 units and add 1 unit for every 3 mmol over 7. I just don't feel like it's working. Does this seem like the average dose? Would it be harmful to add a unit or 2 more? The last couple of days my blood sugar has been around the 13 mark. I'm not seeing the dietician for another 2 weeks so I'm unsure regarding what I should be eating, when I should be eating, can I still snack! I'm determind not to let this rule my life and I've been trying to carry on as normal, but I also know I need to somehow get my blood sugar level down and stable, so any tips, advice, anything at all you can say that would help would be amazing!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Welcome Trixy

I'm a T2 but here's a lot of T1s on here that will offer advice. Good luck

Mike

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I'm also a Type 2. Plenty of Type 1's around who will come with some advice.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm type 1!
When I was diagnosed, I already used higher doses (11 novorapid at meals).
But sometimes it takes a while for the body to get used to the treatment.
Try talking to your nurse/doctor. Get an extra meeting if it makes you feel better. Every one's body works differently.
OUt of curiosity : what was your last sugar test result?

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all, so really 6 when your sugar results are high (over 12) could be more? I'm worried about taking too much, is that possible? My morning reading was 11.9 (I'm not at the checking 2 hours after meals stage yet but I often do anyway, checked 15 mins ago and I was 11.2 so pretty much the same) Yesterday I was 12.4 on waking, 11.7 before lunch, 13.2 before dinner and 12.9 before bed, which was a good day for me.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And yes, you can do too much. So don't double it. Augmenting your doses should be done little by little and slowly.

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the Freestyle Optimum Neo? The readings I've listed are exactly as it shows, in mmol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Right sorry! mine is in mg/dL so I got confused.
I'd try moving up your next meal's insulin by 1 unit and see how that works. Keep sugar nearby though in case your body reacts to it a tad too much (should only be a small hypo if any). But I think the rules disadvise people telling you what to do so I'll make this clear : I do not have a diploma. I do not work in healthcare. I'm only saying this out of experience but you must know first that everyone's body is different.