Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Weight: 86.5kg; FBG: 6.7

Got home from work ravenously hungry and inhaled a load of tofu and veg (stir-fried in plenty of olive oil) and felt immediately better.

I have plenty of energy but feel cold a lot of the time. My resting heart rate has dropped to around 58 (normally around 62). I’m sleeping better, but I feel rather low and, given that I’m prone to depression (I take medication for it), that prompted last night’s refeed.

Another concern is that I am doing the Newcastle “by the book”, which means shakes. And that means I’ve doubled up on the carbs I would have normally eaten (I was low carbing before). Not too happy about the spiking; an hour after drinking a shake my BG can shoot up to 9 and drop to about 6 an hour after that.

Last night I was considering junking the Newcastle altogether. Having slept on it, I’ve decided to tweak a few things (the shakes have to go) and make it a low-carb Newcastle/intermittent fasting combo.

I tried intermittent fasting on and off last year and was pleased with the results.

AlcalaBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I felt a bit cold for the first few days on the ND but then it passed. I wouldn't worry about the heart rate or the rise for an hour up to 9. That's pretty normal I think with this kind of diet. Although the shakes seem high in carbs, Taylor advised that we can easily copy with that because the overall total is so low. I think it's a question of hanging in there and trusting that the guy knows his stuff. HIs evidence speaks for itself. I wouldn't even consider dropping out of the ND until at least a few weeks in because you'll effectively be abandoning the good work you've already done without getting the benefit which seems a shame. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I felt a bit cold for the first few days on the ND but then it passed. I wouldn't worry about the heart rate or the rise for an hour up to 9. That's pretty normal I think with this kind of diet. Although the shakes seem high in carbs, Taylor advised that we can easily copy with that because the overall total is so low. I think it's a question of hanging in there and trusting that the guy knows his stuff. HIs evidence speaks for itself. I wouldn't even consider dropping out of the ND until at least a few weeks in because you'll effectively be abandoning the good work you've already done without getting the benefit which seems a shame. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Not dropping out but tweaking. Having said that, I did crumble and have a shake at lunchtime and an hour later my bloods were only 6.5. I also managed a long walk this afternoon and feel OK. Tonight’s dinner is a roasted aubergine drizzled with a little olive oil and a side of steamed veg.

Reactions: AlcalaBob