1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newcastle - day 6

Discussion in 'Low Calorie Diets' started by Tabbyjoolz, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Tabbyjoolz

Tabbyjoolz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Weight: 86.5kg; FBG: 6.7

Got home from work ravenously hungry and inhaled a load of tofu and veg (stir-fried in plenty of olive oil) and felt immediately better.

I have plenty of energy but feel cold a lot of the time. My resting heart rate has dropped to around 58 (normally around 62). I’m sleeping better, but I feel rather low and, given that I’m prone to depression (I take medication for it), that prompted last night’s refeed.

Another concern is that I am doing the Newcastle “by the book”, which means shakes. And that means I’ve doubled up on the carbs I would have normally eaten (I was low carbing before). Not too happy about the spiking; an hour after drinking a shake my BG can shoot up to 9 and drop to about 6 an hour after that.

Last night I was considering junking the Newcastle altogether. Having slept on it, I’ve decided to tweak a few things (the shakes have to go) and make it a low-carb Newcastle/intermittent fasting combo.

I tried intermittent fasting on and off last year and was pleased with the results.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. AlcalaBob

AlcalaBob Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I felt a bit cold for the first few days on the ND but then it passed. I wouldn't worry about the heart rate or the rise for an hour up to 9. That's pretty normal I think with this kind of diet. Although the shakes seem high in carbs, Taylor advised that we can easily copy with that because the overall total is so low. I think it's a question of hanging in there and trusting that the guy knows his stuff. HIs evidence speaks for itself. I wouldn't even consider dropping out of the ND until at least a few weeks in because you'll effectively be abandoning the good work you've already done without getting the benefit which seems a shame. Good luck with whatever you choose.

3. Tabbyjoolz

Tabbyjoolz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not dropping out but tweaking. Having said that, I did crumble and have a shake at lunchtime and an hour later my bloods were only 6.5. I also managed a long walk this afternoon and feel OK. Tonight’s dinner is a roasted aubergine drizzled with a little olive oil and a side of steamed veg.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook