1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newcastle Diet - Any Surrogate Marker

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by FlashGordon, Aug 19, 2018.

1. FlashGordon

FlashGordon · Newbie

I am planning to give it a try mid-October. I am already lean and according to FLI calculator I have no fatty liver anymore. Is there any calculator or surrogate marker for too much fat in the pancreas ?

2. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Only method is apparently MRI as far as I know - the method used by Prof Taylor's group in Newcastle.

3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

If you have read and/or watched much of Professor taylor, you will see/hear he refers to the personal fat threshold, because it all seems to be a very personal thing. Nobody, so far, seems to know the point at which we might pass it on the way up or down.

I didn't do the ND, but when I decided I would weigh myself (having initially totally focused on reducing my blood sugar scores), I bought some scales which measure, by electrical impedance, the body composition, including visceral fat. I was interesting to observe by body composition change along the way.

As Indy says, an MRI would give you a clear picture of your visceral fat, but that's rather expensive and only gives you a starting, and/or ending picture, depending on how many MRIs you had.

There are various views on body composition monitors, but I found them and encouraging tool in changing my body composition, and ensuring I keep the proportions good.

Good luck with it all.

4. FlashGordon

FlashGordon · Newbie

I think its a good idea to weigh, get waist size or maybe try this 7 caliper method. Thanks for the ideas !

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook