1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newcastle Diet - Any Surrogate Marker

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by FlashGordon, Aug 19, 2018.

1. FlashGordon

FlashGordon · Newbie

I am planning to give it a try mid-October. I am already lean and according to FLI calculator I have no fatty liver anymore. Is there any calculator or surrogate marker for too much fat in the pancreas ?

2. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Only method is apparently MRI as far as I know - the method used by Prof Taylor's group in Newcastle.

3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

If you have read and/or watched much of Professor taylor, you will see/hear he refers to the personal fat threshold, because it all seems to be a very personal thing. Nobody, so far, seems to know the point at which we might pass it on the way up or down.

I didn't do the ND, but when I decided I would weigh myself (having initially totally focused on reducing my blood sugar scores), I bought some scales which measure, by electrical impedance, the body composition, including visceral fat. I was interesting to observe by body composition change along the way.

As Indy says, an MRI would give you a clear picture of your visceral fat, but that's rather expensive and only gives you a starting, and/or ending picture, depending on how many MRIs you had.

There are various views on body composition monitors, but I found them and encouraging tool in changing my body composition, and ensuring I keep the proportions good.

Good luck with it all.

4. FlashGordon

FlashGordon · Newbie

I think its a good idea to weigh, get waist size or maybe try this 7 caliper method. Thanks for the ideas !

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook