Newcastle Diet ok for thin people?

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
My hubby is type 2 and at his ideal weight , although to me he looks skinny :) He's been diagnosed 8/9 years now and is still diet-controlled with no meds. Recently his BG has started to creep up, morning used to be in the 5s now always 6s and a few times 7.
So something is obviously changing and he's asking about the Newcastle diet - not for his weight but to check the diabetes. What do you think? He's currently on a loose Bernstein-type diet, LCHF.

Last edited by a moderator:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can I ask a few questions? Is his HbA1c going up or is it just his baseline? If he is on a Bernstein diet how many grams of carbs is he eating per day. I ask because there is something called physiological insulin resistance which is the bodies way to manage what utilises glucose when there is little in the body.

As for the newcastle diet the aim is to remove the visceral fat from the liver and pancreas. Do you think your slim husband has some to lose? If so then he could try it.

I actually find that a little bit of fasting for a week is often enough to return my fasting levels to baseline after a period of excess.

Reactions: 2 people

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Both - his last Hba1c was December and it was up slightly, it was 48. He is starting to creep up the carbs now, not counted recently and maybe that's some of the problem. He has a plate of porridge with water and cream every morning - he won't give that up! - and that takes up some carbs. He isn't skinny , he has a 36" waist so yes I'd say possibly it might work. I just don't want to worry that I'm starving him, you know? But maybe as you say, a short sharp blast of less would be enough .. He is 70 this year and is wondering if maybe at his age it just does get worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

This is a video lecture by Roy Taylor, the man behind the newcastle diet. It is chokeful of examples regarding the case of your husband, The crucial idea is the personal fat threshold theory regarding diabetes.

A man can have a bmi between 18.5 - 24.9 to have a healthy bmi. This gives a wide range of a healthy weight, myself I can vary 23 kgs between those to extremes. So he should probably loose more weight.

Also the second post is straight on. You need normals amount of carbs to have a normal response.

I nondiabetic person can also exhibit diabetic readings if they go on a lowcarb diet,

Reactions: 2 people

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Well we've started this, our version of it anyway. It's very hard after 8 years of counting carbs, to switch to counting cals instead. Some of the old foods that were ok don't fit now, such as the cream & butter on everything. Sometimes I get quite stressed with it all - and I'm not even the diabetic one!