Newcastle Diet: reporting from Crete..

tatterzombie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So to make the reporting really short.. Wow this really works :happy:

I started dieting the Newcastle way on the 10th of July, but I had already started a low calorie, low fat diet on the 30th of June. So I have only been doing this diet for a week..
To be more precise..
June 30 my weight was 112.8 kg (249 lbs) with a bmi of 40 :bag: and a fasting blood glucose of 120 mg/dl (6.7 mmol/l)
July 10 (date when I started the Newcastle diet)
weight: 107.8 kg (238 lbs)
bmi: 38.2
fbg: 106 mg/dl (5.9 mmol/l)

Now to yesterday after a week on the Newcastle diet
July 17
weight 103.6 kg (228 lbs)
bmi: 36.7
fbg: 79 mg/dl (4.4 mmol/l) :cat:

I've been making my own meal replacement shakes by mixing a protein powder with frozen banana (and sometimes some strawberries), oat bran and a little bit of flax seed meal.. and as for the vegetable part.. I am a cucumber addict :)
What did happen 2 times this week was that I forgot to take my last shake of the day because I fell asleep before I took it..

Anyway.. I guess it's the joy of waking up with a fbg of 73 mg/dl (4 mmol/l) that I felt the need to share it..

Now that I got this off my chest.. have a wonderful day and thanks for this forum that pointed me towards this diet.. I hope to be able to keep up the diet for the full 8 weeks and finally get rid of diabetes.. but there is still a long way to go..

Reactions: 6 people

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great results, you deserve to feel elated. Watching that weight fall off & numbers fall will, I'm sure, help you to keep motivated, whether or not you stick rigidly to the diet :)

fene48

So to make the reporting really short.. Wow this really works :happy:

I started dieting the Newcastle way on the 10th of July, but I had already started a low calorie, low fat diet on the 30th of June. So I have only been doing this diet for a week..
To be more precise..
June 30 my weight was 112.8 kg (249 lbs) with a bmi of 40 :bag: and a fasting blood glucose of 120 mg/dl (6.7 mmol/l)
July 10 (date when I started the Newcastle diet)
weight: 107.8 kg (238 lbs)
bmi: 38.2
fbg: 106 mg/dl (5.9 mmol/l)

Now to yesterday after a week on the Newcastle diet
July 17
weight 103.6 kg (228 lbs)
bmi: 36.7
fbg: 79 mg/dl (4.4 mmol/l) :cat:

I've been making my own meal replacement shakes by mixing a protein powder with frozen banana (and sometimes some strawberries), oat bran and a little bit of flax seed meal.. and as for the vegetable part.. I am a cucumber addict :)
What did happen 2 times this week was that I forgot to take my last shake of the day because I fell asleep before I took it..

Anyway.. I guess it's the joy of waking up with a fbg of 73 mg/dl (4 mmol/l) that I felt the need to share it..

Now that I got this off my chest.. have a wonderful day and thanks for this forum that pointed me towards this diet.. I hope to be able to keep up the diet for the full 8 weeks and finally get rid of diabetes.. but there is still a long way to go..
Fabulous progress and great results. Just a note of caution - make sure you do your resistance exercises religiously as you can lose a lot of lean muscle tissue if you don't. Damned hard to get it back.
Also map out a good transition plan when you have done your 8 weeks, so that you have an eating plan that you can maintain.
On completing my 8 weeks the old body did a bit of re-balancing and I put back 2 kilos (fluid ). You also cant take your eyes off the ball and go back to old eating habits as you will put on weight in a blink. The motivation you had to do the Newcastle gig needs to continue for long term success.
Its a good idea to sort out what particular school and combination of carbs, fat and protein you are going to follow once the 8 weeks are up. Two of the most sensible articles I read was in the July 16 newsletter of www.gisymbol.com. One by Prof Jennie Brand-Miller and the other by Dr Alan Barclay. This is the world's foremost site on glycemic index and they are not a product/self promoting loony fringe site but a serious scientific place. I did the Newcastle Diet too and would do it again - but I could have done some thing smarter.
Al the best for the next 6 weeks and (and after) - keep at it the rewards are well worth it.

tatterzombie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all of you :)

@fene48 you are certainly right about sport.. I have a kind of active job and a dog to walk so I hope that is enough for now..
and the plan for after Newcastle is doing the Dr Barnard or Dr Greger way of eating consisting of whole foods, plant based, low fat.. :cool:

tatterzombie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So this morning my fbg reading was 65 mg/dl which would be a 3.6 mmol/l .. I understand that this reading is within the normal range if one considers the margin of error allowed.. but do I have to start worrying that this diet is working too well?
And do I have even lower blood sugars when my dog starts licking me at night (which is rather unusual for her, but she has started doing it more lately) ?
Unfortunately my go to person for this kind of questions is unavailable right now..

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So this morning my fbg reading was 65 mg/dl which would be a 3.6 mmol/l .. I understand that this reading is within the normal range if one considers the margin of error allowed.. but do I have to start worrying that this diet is working too well?
And do I have even lower blood sugars when my dog starts licking me at night (which is rather unusual for her, but she has started doing it more lately) ?
Unfortunately my go to person for this kind of questions is unavailable right now..

It's acceptable, providing you're not on insulin, or any other insulin producing drugs.
If you are you need to speak to you doctor about continuing to take them.
But I would say it's below my personal comfort zone though.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SunnyExpat nah.. I am on no medication at all.. nor insulin..

I'm not comfortable at that level, but some posters are.
Short of eating more, there is nothing I could think of to raise it up, but it's a natural level, and if you are ok at it, I'd be more inclined to carry on, possibly it may settle down to a steady level in a day or two.

tatterzombie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Time for the weekly update..
Weight is down another 3 kg (6.6 pounds), fbg remain nice and low..

24.07:
weight: 100.6 kg (222 pounds)
fbg: 81 mg/dl (4.5 mmol/l)
fbg 7 day average: 77 mg/dl (4.3 mmol/l)
bmi: 35.6

Weight loss since starting ND 7.2 kg (16 pounds)
Total weight loss since 30.06.16 12.2 kg (27 pounds)

I've been feeling bloated for almost the whole week, so on Saturday I ate all the figs, grapes and melons I could fit in 800 kcal.. ( 215 gram of carbs.. the next day fbg was 81 mg/dl - 4.5 mmol/l) This really helped. I've ordered psyllium husks and I hope they will arrive today..

I've been feeling kind of down in work related matters.. something I would like to attribute to the low calorie diet.. because normally every day is a new day for me and I forget and forgive the things that happen the day before.. :meh:

In another thread the problem of possible too low fat of a diet was brought up so right now I am unsure on what to do.. I don't want to "waste" calories on olive oil, when I could eat other things instead, and nuts, I strongly believe, I am not yet ready to resist.. I have a feeling it would spell disaster.. :hungry: So I am thinking of adding grapefruit, ginger and/or turmeric to my diet somehow.. Maybe some bitter greens, if I can find any on the market today, but I have a feeling summer is not their preferred season..

I hope you have a wonderful start into the week! :cat:

tatterzombie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, a bit late on the update this week..
It was a weird week..
Changes that were made was adding sunflower seeds to up the fat I was consuming and psyllium husks because I hoped it would make me more regular.. I think I also drank too little water.. This or other things led to weird stuff..
I gained weight and was up to 101.4 kg on Sunday (that is a plus of 0.8 kg or 1.8 pounds) and a had higher fbg than the weeks before... I also ate more than I should have on Wednesday (3 oranges I found in the fridge.. it was a weird hungry day..)..
So all in all.. the lowest fbg of the week was 70mg/dl (3.9 mmol/l) and the highest 103 mg/dl (5.7 mmol/l)
In other news.. I feel tired.. I don't know if it's the heat, work or diet but I really feel more tired than usual at work, especially in the afternoon..

Anyway.. 5 weeks left and one of them is almost half gone for me ^^

Have a nice day!

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

@tatterzombie Great fasting numbers there, despite the weight gain so don't get disheartened. If you are taking psyllium husks, you should be upping your water otherwise you will bung up even more. As you know, females have other stuff going on which can affect weight and hunger, so better luck this week :)