Newcastle Diet

A

Anonymous

Cricket Lover said:
I was diagnosed on 02/01/2013, but may have been diabetic for up to 18 months before this without realising looking back at my symtoms, when first diagnosed my bg was 28 & cholestral 23 (a record I was told for the surgery!) Once diagnosed I trawled the internet for more info on diabetes & found reports on the ND, I first saw a consultant in mid January & raised the diet with him but he was not at all supportive of it & seemed happier to go down the drug route via metformin which went from 1 x 500 to 3 x 500mg over a few weeks & 1 200mg Fenofibrate a day, along with a recomendation to loose some weight.

On my second visit in early May, my Hba had fallen to 8.1 & my daily bg readings were generally between 6.5 & 9 with the occasional reading of over 11. However my blood tests showed a reduced renal function which he felt may be due to the metformin. I again asked about the Newcastle Diet & he agreed that I could try it if I wished but would need to contact my GP. I had previously spoken to the local dietician about ND on a DESMOND course & she was very keen to run trials. I contacted her but she was unable to provide any support or time due to lack of funding & time, other than send some information to my GP, after a couple of meetings with my GP I finally started the diet a fortnight ago, as recommended 3 optifast meals a day (although I have also used build up it's cheaper) & one meal a day of vegetables, I have lost 9lbs going down from 12st 7lbs to 11st 12lb(giving me a bmi of 26 fractionaly above a healthy weight) & my bg is now showing a 7 day average of 5.2 & 14 day average of 5.9, with readings going as low as 4.4, my morning readings which previously were regularly over 8 are now running under 6 & have gone under 5, I have just reduced my metformin from 3 to 2 tablets a day.

I have just had another blood test & will be visiting my consultant next week to get results & discuss my medication further & hope to be off metforfin in the near future!

I have found the diet quite hard, especially in social environments especially resturants etc, but to date the results seem very encouraging, with my bg now in normal ranges. I have tried to increase my exercise level with swimming & gym sessions, I have found the reduced calories have not hugely reduced my ability to exercise & can still manage 45mins to an hour of intensive work in the gym. My GP suggested a target weight at diagnosis of 11st 7lb but the ND papers I have read seem to suggest 20% weight loss which for me would be 2st 7lb, which is probably unrealistic but I am hoping to get as close to 10 stone as possible while maintaining fitness & muscle mass.

My hope is that I will go back to a pre diabetic state & will be capable of controlling the diabetes by diet & exercise alone long term.

I would be interested to hear of other peoples experience of the diet & how there body reacted long term & if they were able to maintain a pre diabetic state.
How did you know that you were diabetic for up to 18 months prior to your official dagnosis?

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

Oohh...interesting result.

Did you do a fasting test this morning?

Have a good day.

Cara

Cricket Lover

Hi Gezzathorpe,

Looking back prior to diagnosis I had symtoms for at least 18 months before without putting them together as diabetese, getting up in the night increasingly to go to the toilet at night, drinking more & thirst, falling asleep after meals, feeling more & more lethargic.... getting up at night stopped within days of starting metformin.

Cricket Lover

My bg this morning was 7.1, higher than last night, so will continue to monitor regularly to see effects of food on me over next few weeks. Hope that I will gradually work out what I can eat & not & quantities.