Newcastle update, four weeks down four weeks to go.

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't post an update yesterday, I thought that I was seeing things. My FBG was 7.5 and my weight was exactly the same as last week. I retested and it wasn't a mistake, after a week in the mid sixes I have gone up to 7.5. It was back down to 6.5 this morning but still no movement on the scales. I'm at the halfway point and I have lost less than 10lbs. I will carry on and fingers crossed for a huge weight reduction next week. I have been dreaming about eating cheese but I haven't actually eaten any so I don't understand why the scales are stuck...
See you next week. X

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Swiggy That's EXACTLY what happened to me for weeks 4 and 5 of the BSD version of ND - which is when I decided that enough was enough. I'll be very interested to read how you get on. Good kuck. :)

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Swiggy That's EXACTLY what happened to me for weeks 4 and 5 of the BSD version of ND - which is when I decided that enough was enough. I'll be very interested to read how you get on. Good kuck. :)
Thanks @Chook as long as I am not the only one who has failed to lose weight on 800 calories a day I will carry on. I am half way through and I have only had one slip so I plan to add a couple of extra days. I am hoping that I lose a chunk of weight and my FBG goes below 5.9. X

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't post an update yesterday, I thought that I was seeing things. My FBG was 7.5 and my weight was exactly the same as last week. I retested and it wasn't a mistake, after a week in the mid sixes I have gone up to 7.5. It was back down to 6.5 this morning but still no movement on the scales. I'm at the halfway point and I have lost less than 10lbs. I will carry on and fingers crossed for a huge weight reduction next week. I have been dreaming about eating cheese but I haven't actually eaten any so I don't understand why the scales are stuck...
See you next week. X

Swiggy - I haven't done the Newcastle Diet, so can't give you any great pearls of wisdom in that regard, but on your experience of it, have you considered getting in contact with Professor Taylor, at Newcastle?

I wrote to Professor Taylor when I had had a couple of HbA1cs in the mid/low 30s (can't recall how many it would have been at the time, so forgive the vagueness) asking a few things about the then relatively infrequently discussed concept of a post reversal/remission/cure/however one would like to phrase it.

I asked the great man what sort of post-ND diet he recommended and how he classified this reversal/remission/cure/whatever. He was utterly, utterly charming, and responded in a warm and friendly way within 24 hours of me contacting him. Typically of me, I had a couple of follow up questions form his response, and his reply was in the same manner and tone.

His email is readily accessible on the interweb. In your shoes, I might consider dropping him a line and asking if he had encountered anything similar to yourself and what if anything had been the follow on/follow up activity.

He really seems a lovely man.

Good luck with it all. I think I'd have been sulking by now in your shoes. Hats off to you.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From memory, (it was six years ago), around the fourth week weight loss stalled. No reason for it. Had stuck rigidly to the plan. The following week there had been a bigger weight loss, which compensated for the plateau the week before.

Are you having checks to see that you are in ketosis, @Swiggy? That can make a difference.