Newcomer

Rox000

Hi everyone i am a parent of a 19yr old beautiful non verbal girl who has autism. She was diagnosed t1 round 6 weeks ago and is on twice daily novomix injections. Its been tough for me more so... Shes an angel in that she willingly takes her insulin and gives her hand for numerous bsl tests each day.
As you can appreciate monitoring a persons health who is non verbal at the best of times is challenging. Now this new diagnosis on top of it all makes it even more challenging. Im a nurse but by no means an expert in diabetes but ive sure had to learnt real quick given my new situation.
My diabetes nurse educator says i should chill a little and not monitor her bsl so much. She is non verbal cannot tell me if she is experiencing highs or lows and im solely relying on my observation skills to monitor this. I have taken the reigns and upskilled myself on low carb food and we are still playing with insulin doses to achieve stable sugars. Is there anyone that has a child with special needs that has type 1?
Congrats on this site... Its awesome very informative glad i stumbled across it. Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks for the opportunity to post.... Rox

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello Rox000 and welcome to the forum. I am T2 and not long from diagnosis so I cannot give you any advice at all but I want to assure you that being a part of this forum might just be one of the best things you can do for yourself as a parent and for your daughter. The information and the support given by other members in a similar situation to yours will make a challenging condition much easier. If you are as yet not aware, there is a sub section for parents of those with children/family members further down the forum list and of course there is the Type 1 Diabetes Forum.

To be told to 'chill' when the health of your child is always a parent's first priority is a tad unhelpful, in my opinion but I will leave the question of testing to those members who are far more knowledgeable about it than I am to guide you. Best wishes.