Newer insulin user, fast drops post meal

PH0N0N

Hi

I am a newer insulin user (T2 but Ketosis-Prone Diabetes (Flatbush Diabetes), insulin dependent). I've been acclimatising to all of the new "stuff" since 10th Feb.

I'm a reasonably routine-based person, so I'm trying to find out what in my process is not yet quite right.

The pattern that I am trying to correct is: I compute the right carb amount using the various sums (including correction, time of day carb ratios, activity levels, etc). Usually after dinner that the insulin (Novorapid) comes on before almost any food that I eat, resulting in a sharpish few mmol drop in BG. It does "come back" to normal levels at around 90 minutes usually.

I've been pushing back the timing of my insulin from 10 min before, to now 15 min after. It still happens sometimes, but it is not as "deep" as if I went 10 mins before eating.

Is it OK to keep pushing this back to after the meal even more? Is 30 mins after eating insane?

FWIW: If I vary the carb ratio, what happens is similar, down, then up, but my blood just goes higher for the rest of the evening in this case. It seems that the ratio is "correct" for 2h later, but the 1st 90 mins is a bit of a roller coaster.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Best,
Chris

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @PH0N0N , and welcome to the forum!
I've been pushing back the timing of my insulin from 10 min before, to now 15 min after. It still happens sometimes, but it is not as "deep" as if I went 10 mins before eating.

Is it OK to keep pushing this back to after the meal even more? Is 30 mins after eating insane?
If it works, it works!
The time your meal starts to hit is different from person to person, and depends on the kind of food you eat as well. The same goes for how long it takes for your insulin to hit.

From your story, it looks like you're using a glucose sensor, it may be worth keeping in mind glucose sensors run a bit behind blood glucose.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, what actual numbers are you talking about? Are you still producing your own insulin do you know, I wonder whether it could be your own insulin kicking in fast rather than the novarapid, especially given that nova(not so)rapid is touted as the slowest thing ever! x

PH0N0N

Thank you for the responses. I am using a Libre sensor and always check when BG is < 5.

I think I do produce some of my own insulin (Type2). I only take a very little insulin per day/ meal. Unfortunately we couldn't get the BG/ketones under control without the insulin.

For example, 2 units at dinner with a 1:15 carb ratio is enough to take my BG down from say 8.6 pre-meal to 4.4 in on example at around 70 minutes after the insulin dose. It does it in pretty much straight line down form when the insulin gets going. At lunch a 1:10 ratio and say 3 units doesn't do the same thing, it is almost always at dinner.

I was basically just wondering if there is any reason that taking the rapid insulin dose before the meal would for some reason be "important" or if it is really just lining up when the carbs hit vs when the insulin hits.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Before tinkering with bolus timings and dose, I always start with a basal test to ch3ck that I am not trying to deal with incorrect basal by topping up or delaying with bolus.

The other thing to consider is what you are eating.
Fat delays the absorption of carbs so fatty meals may need a later bolus. If you are bolusing for protein in a very low/no carb meal, protein to glucose conversion is later so will need a later dose.

Many people find the best thing is to split bolus. Have one dose before eating and another afterward. I do this for fattier meals such as curry and pizza.

Reactions: PH0N0N