Newley diagnosed

Millydog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So i have been forced ti be a type 1 diabetic due to having my pancreas removed just after some advice they told me in hospital i could eat what i wanted just ti make sure my blood sugars didnt go any higher than 17 and no lower than 4 today i had a bacon lettuce and tomato sandwhich brown breàd a bag of crisps chicken in a jar sauce rice and veg before i had the rice i tested my blood and it was 16.1 i have just tested again before I took my lantus and it has gone down but to 13.1 what am i doing wrong and what sort of diet should i be having

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So i have been forced ti be a type 1 diabetic due to having my pancreas removed just after some advice they told me in hospital i could eat what i wanted just ti make sure my blood sugars didnt go any higher than 17 and no lower than 4 today i had a bacon lettuce and tomato sandwhich brown breàd a bag of crisps chicken in a jar sauce rice and veg before i had the rice i tested my blood and it was 16.1 i have just tested again before I took my lantus and it has gone down but to 13.1 what am i doing wrong and what sort of diet should i be having

Hi there, @Millydog - Welcome to the forum.

How long have you been diagnosed, and what medications are you taking? Are you on variable or fixed doses of insulin a the moment. That would help people responding to get a bit of a better picture.

Just as an aside, your "type" of diabetes is usually referred to as Type 3c. we have a subforum for T3c here. It's mainly treated very similarly to T1, but, as I understand it, many who have had their pancreas (or even much of it) removed, find they also have to take some additional meds, to help with their digestion.

The T3c subforum is here. As you're clicking around the forum, you probably might find some decent reading there, if you're at a loose end: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/type-3c-pancreatic-diabetes.73/

There are many, many experienced members on this site who will be very happy pick your way through things. I'm pleased to say I still have my pancreas intact, and I'm not an insulin user, so hopefully someone with closer experience to you will be along shortly.

Good luck with it all.