Newly diagnosed 6 year old

Funkybull

Wow! I think is all I say, I discovered Tuesday that I actually had no idea what Type 1 diabetes was and the affect it has on your life.

I will be honest, I knew it had something to do with sugar, but thought you just checked your blood sugar several times a day and then give yourself some insulin!! Carb counting??? I’d never heard of it!!

My story:-

Looking back, I think my little girl had been poorly for a while (I feel really bad) around October time she started with the excessive drinking, we are also waiting for a autism assessment so initially put it down to another obsession ( she likes twiddling and focuses on that all the time) and she had started being wet at night.

I had noticed she was getting moody but just put it down to growing up! Then on 3rd December she was in a dance show, she looked so tired, moody, just kept shouting at me and telling me to shut up, I actually told her off!!!

Then that week, she was so tired coming home from school and falling asleep, she would sleep at night for 12 hours and she was still looking exhausted In the morning! She was even fallen asleep in the bath and this was when I really noticed the weight loss, which seemed to come on rapidly, all of a sudden I could feel her bones, she has always been well built and I could see her shoulder blades, ribs and spine.

I felt something wasn’t right so made a doctors appointment, I think deep down I thought she might of had diabetes, but what happened next was not what I was expecting!!

I thought we’d go to the docs and they would send us for some blood tests, we’d go back after a week and then been referred!!!

But that didn’t happen, the doctor did various test and finally did a blood sugar finger prick that came back at 33! He said We had to go straight to hospital and did us a referral letter, I broke down in his office, I think it was the shock.

We got to the hospital, the doctor is telling me it’s a good job I didn’t leave it any longer!! Her ketones were above 6. They are putting cannulas in and looking for a bed in HDU!! I feel like I’m in a whirl wind, and my little girl is shouting for food and saying she isn’t poorly!!

We were admitted and she was on a drip and insulin drip!

This was Tuesday, Wednesday is when it all started, the diabetic nurse is going through all the kit, explaining carb counting and in practising the insulin injections on a teddy!! Then come tea time I started the counting!!

But what happened Thursday was the best and when I realised my little girl must had been poorly for a while! She was singing jumping around just being lovely like she always was, looking back at my pictures over the last few months, she does look washed out in them.

So we came home on Friday and had our first night at home, all went well, just trying to teach the grandparents how to do it all!!

The doctor is a family friend and he telephoned my father in law on Thursday to see how she was doing and he said in all his years with practicing (must be 25 + years) he has never had a child in his surgery presenting with type 1 diabetes symptoms!

I must say that my little girl is now really really hungry, as soon as she has eaten she is planning her next meal!!!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Funkybull , glad to hear your daughter is doing well. High blood sugar can make you hungry, so that might be something to check. But pre insulin your daughter was starving, so it may just be that her body is keen to get food in now it can actually get energy out of it.

There's a good book - "think like a pancreas" which covers the basics of what you need to know to manage type 1. You and the grandparents might want to get hold of a copy.

There's a free NHS course on carb counting, which is for adults, but you might want to check it out for how to count carbs guidance - https://www.bertieonline.org.uk

There's a good book/app called carbs & cals which is helpful in carb counting.

Funkybull

Thanks, Iv already got the app which has been really useful and I will check out the course.

They gave us a kids guide to type 1 book which I have found really useful to read with Amy-Rose so she does seem to be grasping it, my only fear is her grabbing some food when I’m not looking!!

The Nurse said she might eat a lot at first, although I’m sure it’s because she wasn’t allowed to eat on Tuesday so she’s filling her boots now!!!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Funkybull . and Amy-Rose. Welcome to the forum.
A busy old week it seems.
There's going to be a lot to learn, just take your time, little and often. I've been doing the diabetic thing a few years now and in all honesty I still learn new things.
You sound like you haven't gone into an emotional breakdown which is great news. You have to stay positive and focused with diabetes but you also have to live your life and have fun. As restrictive as diabetes can be it should never restrict you from doing anything.
As @catapillar as already given great advice I won't repeat anything. Your daughter eating shouldn't really be a problem providing she eats sensible foods, try to eat sensible and things will be on the right track. Treats are okay but make them treats not meals.
Good luck and hope to hear more from you in the coming weeks, months etc etc

Reactions: Funkybull

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Funkybull ,

Welcome to the forum.

Advice wise..? I'm not going to elabourate on what's already said. Take it in "bite sized chunks" for you & your little girl.
Certainly, don't feel bad regarding not noticing the signs before diagnosis. My mum got caught out a simalar way 41 years ago! :)

Moving forward. There is no restriction on any activity your daughter can do..

Best wishes.

J>