Newly diagnosed and a little deflated

Sualdam

I don't want to hijack this in any way, but I feel for you on the GP attitude issue.

A couple of years ago I had a routine annual health check. No problems whatsoever until then (I was immortal in my own mind), but they asked me a question and I mentioned I'd had a small feeling of heartburn the previous night in bed (no big deal - I've had heartburn before). They took a blood sample, and later that day told me I had to go to hospital immediately. I was in overnight while they did tests (to do with Troponin). My life changed from that instant.

I was discharged with a diagnosis of 'angina' (and a partially blocked coronary artery) - yet I was not aware I had ever had it. I was given Glyceryl Trinitrate.

I made an appointment with my GP and I said to her 'well, as long as I'm not going to keel over at any moment'. Her reply was 'well, I can't guarantee that'!!!

Since then, I have had the Bejeezus scared out of me. Any ache or pain last year, I was on the GTN. I called an ambulance twice, and went in to A&E once myself. The stress was making my heart rate race. They found no problems each time, which has helped me feel better now - but not back then, since no one has explained anything.

Anyway, I just bought a Glucose monitor as part of my new found paranoia. Part of my problem was that I was overweight. I weighed 135kg at the time of that hospital visit, but got it down to 124kg within 4 months, and 108kg a year later. I wasn't monitoring my blood sugar, but maybe I ought to have been.

Good luck with your obvious progress with your own issue. But GPs don't make it easy sometimes, do they?

Mungobean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with T2 in March ( and told that I’d actually been diabetic for a year, but nobody had told me!)

I kept asking why they were presuming T2. I am tube fed so don’t really have any dietary control. I kept on pushing for the c- peptide and anti gad tests and went ‘around the houses’ a bit, but finally got the tests ordered (twice in the end, by different doctors)!

Had a call a couple, of weeks ago - now diagnosed with T1. I have since had a call with a consultant, and she has agreed that I can continue to have the Libre (I had it on a trial, and had managed to eke 4 original sensors out to 3 months, due to them failing/falling off and then getting replaced).

So yes, I have found docs to be judgemental and presumptuous - but I am actually lucky on the whole with my GP as he does an awful lot for me, so I won’t hold it against him! At least I don’t now have to decide whether or not to self fund the Libre myself.

JamesEaster

I know EXACTLY how you would have felt at your great results almost being a put down to you @Pev58 because that was me last August! I had been out of control for two years but found the strength to cut out an enormous amount of carbs, then presented at my diabetes clinic with a result of 37 ... so in none diabetic numbers for the first time in the five years of having Type2. I got no congratulations whatsoever and felt totally deflated, but I had moved house the year previous so it was a new practice. However that shouldn't have stopped them showing some approval since they did have my medical notes! But you are doing massively well despite their disinterest, and don't ever think otherwise. Keep on and you will also be on top of it completely! Great job x

A big reason for the failure of modern medicine, too little care taken with patients mental wellness. I have taken doctors and nurses to task for their insensitivity and callous demeanor, taking care not to be a hypocrite and not take their well-being into account.

It's so important not to think that we have physical health and a separate mental health; they are connected and one.

AnnaWB

Sorry to butt I on OP's post but how do you get access to your results online please?
If you download the NHS app (not the covid one) you can set it up to see all of your test results, medical history etc. It will also give you your covid vaccine pass if you have had the jabs.