Newly diagnosed and having hypos

ajei

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all...

I've recently been diagnosed with T2 and despite eating more I keep having hypos...3.2-3.8...what could I be doing wrong ? I can't get an appointment with the diabetic nurse for two months and my GP said 'we don't deal with diabetics'. I'm on Metformin 500mg twice a day, Gliclazide 80mg twice a day and Linagliptin 5mg once a day. I don't seem to have many symptoms...bit spacey and tired, so I'm guessing they're not too serious as hypos go but I do worry as I need to drive and run my own business, so I'm testing my bloods every two hours (maybe being a bit paranoid lol).

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @ajei welcome to the forum, so sorry to hear you are going through this. My suggestion would be to contact the practice manager tomorrow and advise that they are leaving you in a dangerous situation. You need an urgent medication review which could easily be carried out over the telephone.

They have your test results etc and would be best to advise you on any medication change needed.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all...

I've recently been diagnosed with T2 and despite eating more I keep having hypos...3.2-3.8...what could I be doing wrong ? I can't get an appointment with the diabetic nurse for two months and my GP said 'we don't deal with diabetics'. I'm on Metformin 500mg twice a day, Gliclazide 80mg twice a day and Linagliptin 5mg once a day. I don't seem to have many symptoms...bit spacey and tired, so I'm guessing they're not too serious as hypos go but I do worry as I need to drive and run my own business, so I'm testing my bloods every two hours (maybe being a bit paranoid lol).

To be honest, @ajei , it does sound like you need to be seen significantly sooner than a couple of months ahead. I'd suggest getting onto your surgery tomorrow to arrange that. If your usual approach doesn't work, then as @Alison Campbell suggests, it could be useful explaining your predicament to the the Practice Manager.

May I ask a couple of questions, please?

Were you started off on all 3 meds, or were additional items added over a period? Secondly, I appreciate you're saying that you are eating a bit more; but have you changed your diet significantly since diagnosis?

It doesn't seem like your medication is matching your current needs, but nobody here can advise any medication changes. Only your medical team can do that.

Please come back and let us know how you get along.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was discharged from a&e I got on Google and found the phone number for the diabetes team at my local hospital. I had been promised a referral but decided not to wait for NHS admin. So I phoned them up and an hour later they phoned me back and asked me to come straight in.

A cheeky phone call might just get you seen earlier!

Reactions: DCUKMod

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all...

I can't get an appointment with the diabetic nurse for two months and my GP said 'we don't deal with diabetics'.

Nurse situation is a shambles and the docs verging on professional negligence I would have thought.
Agree with DCUK go and stand up for yourself at the practice. Don't know where you are but can you go and see another nurse or doctor elsewhere?
You'll get lots of great ongoing advise and support on here but I would have thought that the medical side of things really does need to be overseen professionally.
Good luck.

ajei

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Nurse situation is a shambles and the docs verging on professional negligence I would have thought.
Agree with DCUK go and stand up for yourself at the practice. Don't know where you are but can you go and see another nurse or doctor elsewhere?
You'll get lots of great ongoing advise and support on here but I would have thought that the medical side of things really does need to be overseen professionally.
Good luck.

ajei

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone for the responses...I am slowly working my way through all the info on here. I was put on all 3 meds at once and told to cut down my carbs but given no other information. I was given a testing kit but had no idea education programmes existed until I read it here. Have just woken up and tested and I'm 4.1 which seems to be pretty much what I can expect in the morning. Should I detail everything I eat for awhile ?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for the responses...I am slowly working my way through all the info on here. I was put on all 3 meds at once and told to cut down my carbs but given no other information. I was given a testing kit but had no idea education programmes existed until I read it here. Have just woken up and tested and I'm 4.1 which seems to be pretty much what I can expect in the morning. Should I detail everything I eat for awhile ?

Staring on all those three meds together is somewhat less usual. Most Doctors start on one, or maybe two drugs, then adjust them up/down as necessary.

Recording both your readings and your diet is a great idea and wholly endorsed by me. You might also find it useful to just a quick note on how you're feeling if you go low. That should help both you and your medical team begin to understand what's going on.