Newly diagnosed and scared

FrancescaN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, it's nearly 6am and I've been crying all night. I'm a 51 year old woman who is artificially fed through a PEG (I have LYMPHANGIECTASIA with protein losing enteropathy). My PEG was fitted last December after years of problems). To cut a long story short, I have been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes (yesterday actually). My GP rushed me to hospital as my blood sugar was 30.9 and in the space of a few hours I was seen by doctors and diabetic nurses, given all the equipment and an explanation of how to do things, which unfortunately went right over my head as I was in deep shock! I got home and still in shock cried and cried. How will I manage my PEG feeding with controlling my diabetes? Everything is complicated as I hardly eat any food but I need to do all my diabetic stuff before meals etc. I'm totally confused. I need professional help from experts, I need someone to help me. Can anyone tell me what happens next please. I appreciate any help you can give

Reactions: Kevin259

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @FrancescaN

Sorry to hear of your struggles and welcome to the forum.

I don't have sufficient knowledge to comment on your medical condition, but would advise you to go back to your doctor to clarify how to manage your diabetes alongside your other medical condition.

In the meantime I'm tagging @daisy1 who will send some information sent to all new members.

I hope you are able to get the information you need very soon.

Reactions: samowen268

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @FrancescaN .. and welcome
I agree 100% with @Goonergal .. you should go back to your doctor and / or nurse .. today .. and tell them how worried you are and how much you are suffering. That MUST be your immediate priority.
I, too, am unable to comment on your medical condition .. but you are in the right place here and I'm sure you will receive the advice and support that you need
Let us know how you get on ..

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Good morning
Just wanted to wish you luck.

Regards
Tony

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think you will have to work with your health team to try and find a lower carb formula unless you are able to have pureed foods. Unfortunately most of those formulas are based on starch and loaded with sugar but there are some higher protein ones. You are really in a hard place as you only have limited control over your food. I am not sure what you mean by doing diabetic stuff before your feeding. Are you on insulin? The means of controlling the diabetes are the same whether you are on a feeding tube or not and are largely dietary. You will be able to manage this once you have time to wrap your head around it and that does take a bit of time. Go easy on yourself and feel free to ask any questions you might have. I have not had a feeding tube myself but I have cared for people with permanent tubes. This can be managed. Welcome to the forum.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear you have T2 and yes it would have been a big shock for you. I am sure it will be difficult for you at first to manage it so you really need the help of your medical team because of your other problems. We are not medically qualified here to advise on what you should do diet wise as anything we do here may be totally wrong for you because of your feeding problem so please try to see your medical advisors as soon as possible and I am sure it will be sorted out and not seem so daunting as it does now so good luck and let us know how you get on

FrancescaN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for taking the time to write such great advice . I'm so sorry that it's taken me so long to get back to everyone who left a comment. You are all fantastic!!! At the moment I'm taking it one day at a time and even though I have days were it all gets on top of me ( grim diabetic nurse appts etc) I know that I've got a safe place to come to (here) where I'm sure to get good advice from people in the same situation. I thank you from the bottom of my heart x