Newly diagnosed and scared!

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I think you should keep things in perspective and not worry too much. My initial HbA1c was 112 well higher than 49 but still your result is just above normal. Maybe with low dose meds and dietary adjustment you will be aok. The initial diagnosis is the worst part of diabetes but don't read too much into this like scouring the internet for the worst scenarios going, people live long lives with diabetes and it's just the complications that are the worst and if you control your diabetes you probably won't get any. Take care and worry less.

Reactions: 4 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kazz :)
I'm new to all this too having been diagnosed in August. My sugars were pretty high - HbA1c of 123, and finger prick blood sugars of 23, so I chose to accept Metformin therapy. I had some bouts of diarrhea, so I asked to be swapped to the slow release formulation and have had no problems since. Following the suggestions on here I started following a LCHF diet and my blood sugars for the last 2 weeks have been stable, between 4 and 7. I also chose to accept statins as my cholesterol levels were high too - again no problems at all.
So, as one newbie to another I'd suggest 2 things. Firstly, don't panic - this is something that we do have some control over if we choose to be proactive in terms of our diet and exercise.
Secondly, I would advise you to talk to your GP about the medication issue. I realize your blood sugars weren't massively high, but he / she may have other reasons for their recommendation - raised blood sugars can cause other dangerous issues such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure etc. So make sure you have a good chat with him/her and ensure you have all the facts you need before you make that decision. Stay strong and choose to show diabetes what it's up against! Good luck xx

Reactions: 6 people

Kazz94

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to all for the replies and helpful information. I am so grateful for all the support and information i have been given on this forum. If I had only the NHS info to hand I don't think I'd be feeling as confident as i do that I can sort this. 2 days into the low carb diet and its not too bad so far. I've researched quite a bit on the benefits of fasting and diabetes and it seems to work well for some.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thanks to all for the replies and helpful information. I am so grateful for all the support and information i have been given on this forum. If I had only the NHS info to hand I don't think I'd be feeling as confident as i do that I can sort this. 2 days into the low carb diet and its not too bad so far. I've researched quite a bit on the benefits of fasting and diabetes and it seems to work well for some.

Kazz i sent you a private message .
I am doing a low carb high fat diet with my husband and it isn't agreeing with me i feel really strange and have no energy at all .

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a fairly recently diagnosed Type 2 and I also need to lose a lot of weight. I also want to control with diet and a change of lifestyle. My Dr is happy with this and has not suggested mess for my diabetes. My most recent HbA1c was 44 so not bad in the great scheme of things.

I've drastically reduced my carbs as my previous diet and food choices were awful. I'm following the principles of the GI diet. Since mid Sept I've lost over a stone just by making changes to my diet.

It can be rather daunting but this is one of the BEST sites for good advice and support. Most of us are living with diabetes or have someone close to us that has it. Keep browsing various forums and asking questions.

Reactions: 5 people

Kazz94

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply tigerlily72. I'm seeing my Doc on Tuesday and hope she doesnt push meds on me. Fidning the low carb diet pretty good and starting to feel better already :)

I was under the imopression that a HBa1C reading of less than 48 was pre-diabetes? Did you have a higher reading previously?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Thanks for your reply tigerlily72. I'm seeing my Doc on Tuesday and hope she doesnt push meds on me. Fidning the low carb diet pretty good and starting to feel better already :)

I was under the imopression that a HBa1C reading of less than 48 was pre-diabetes? Did you have a higher reading previously?
It should be possible to try reducing your HbA1c without meds, get tested in 3 months time, and if the level is lower, then keep doing what you're doing. You don't have to accept meds at the start if you don't want to. If your HbA1c is the same or higher in 3 months, then you may want to consider meds. Meds are all different, with their own benefits, side effects and risks. Some can be life saving, or improve quality of life. I look at them on a case by case basis.

Reactions: 3 people

Kazz94

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It should be possible to try reducing your HbA1c without meds, get tested in 3 months time, and if the level is lower, then keep doing what you're doing. You don't have to accept meds at the start if you don't want to. If your HbA1c is the same or higher in 3 months, then you may want to consider meds. Meds are all different, with their own benefits, side effects and risks. Some can be life saving, or improve quality of life. I look at them on a case by case basis.
Thanks, I will. I am still confused as to why the blood test they did came back as normal but a few days later the hbA1c came back as diabetic.

Reactions: 2 people

Kazz94

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well my doctor has agreed for me to try to sort myself with lifestyle changes and no meds for the time being. My blood pressure and cholesterol were quite high though but shes happy to see me again in 6 weeks. She's also booking me onto a course and the DN will be in touch too. I've got glucose strips for testing my urine but not sure if thats going to tell me much? advice please?

I've also noticed that my distance eyesight has got worse in the past few days, could this be because of the LCHF diet I've just started, or maybe it's because I've spent hours and hours on my ipad for a week post diagnosis!!!

I'm still feeling quite anxious about it all and feeling a bit wobbly generally. Any advice gratefully received :)

Kazz94

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you should keep things in perspective and not worry too much. My initial HbA1c was 112 well higher than 49 but still your result is just above normal. Maybe with low dose meds and dietary adjustment you will be aok. The initial diagnosis is the worst part of diabetes but don't read too much into this like scouring the internet for the worst scenarios going, people live long lives with diabetes and it's just the complications that are the worst and if you control your diabetes you probably won't get any. Take care and worry less.
Thanks Eddie, I've read your reply a few times - has really helped when my mind is spiraling out of control :) x

stallard

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Insulin
The best advice I can give you is to eat well. But most important lower your stess level and anxiety it will not help hun. There are lots of lovely people here who can support you. But getting so stressed is not gonna help. I feel for you my sweet. Take care and keep your chin up

Kazz94

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The best advice I can give you is to eat well. But most important lower your stess level and anxiety it will not help hun. There are lots of lovely people here who can support you. But getting so stressed is not gonna help. I feel for you my sweet. Take care and keep your chin up
Thank you :)

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You're right as my HbA1c is not quite on the diabetic scale but my fasting blood glucose tests were unfortunately.

Kazz94

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it normal to get slight palpitations after eating in first stages of LCHF diet? And feeling lethargic? It hit me today!

Brock04

I am feeling pretty scared but part of me is grateful for the warning and the chance to turn my life around. i hate feeling ill and being overweight. Hopefully this is my wake up call. Just want ot do it right and I'm pretty sure that I need to avoid medication at all costs.

Kazz94

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You're too right Brock. I have done a lot research in the past few weeks and we can beat this with diet and excercise. The LCHF diet along with fasting is dropping 1lb a day and my BG levels are well within target. Thats after just 2.5 weeks and so have faith!! I almost feel a tinge of excitement at the thought of feeling well and slimmer. My life coming to a standstill and so this is certainly a blessing in disguise! Best of luck, you can do this :)

geoffh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Me too!! It's the wake up call I've been needing. I'm not even slightly tempted by cake or biscuits of chocolate - this is definitely the shock I needed.
BG down to "normal" levels within a few weeks and losing the weight steadily and surely. Be encouraged!! :)

Jking

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I control my type 2 with diet and exercise. I'm on no medications and my blood count is great. This it what I do, I cut out all sugar from my diet which is not easy, because every food has sugar it them. If my blood count is high, I just go for a walk and that will fix it very quick.

Jking

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Recently my blood count was 9 and I went for a walk and it was back to normal 4.1. No medication can work that quick...