Newly Diagnosed And Sick

MimiBee

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My 4 year olddaughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes around 2 months ago. She ended up in icu (DKA). It's the first time shes been unwell since having diabetes and I'm struggling with her sugars, theyre constantly high. The insulin is barely having an affect on the sugars like it usually does. Does anyone have any advice on how to cope with sickness while a t1d?
Many thanks

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @MimiBee,
A worrying time for you both !
Your doctor and nurse are the best sources of advice for you about what adjustments in insulin are appropriate.
I assume that infection as a cause of stress and rise in blood sugars has been ruled out for your daughter , including things like urine infection ?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have a way to test for ketones? If not, how high is she and what kind of unwellness does she have?

MimiBee

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @MimiBee,
A worrying time for you both !
Your doctor and nurse are the best sources of advice for you about what adjustments in insulin are appropriate.
I assume that infection as a cause of stress and rise in blood sugars has been ruled out for your daughter , including things like urine infection ?
Thanks for your response, tomorrow i will be taking her to the dr cos it developed throughout the day. She just started with a runny nose and it progressed into a cough along with a temp.

MimiBee

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have a way to test for ketones? If not, how high is she and what kind of unwellness does she have?
Unfortunately I dont have a way to test, ill be taking her to the dr tomorrow to see exactly what is wrong. She started off with a runny nose in the morning and then it progressed into a cough and temperature. Her sugars have been staying in the range of 200-290mg/dl (11.1-16.0mmol/l) especially when eating even after insulin which usually takes it down nicely. But it keeps bouncing back up, so i definitely know the insulin needs adjusting to cover the rises she's getting.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately I dont have a way to test, ill be taking her to the dr tomorrow to see exactly what is wrong. She started off with a runny nose in the morning and then it progressed into a cough and temperature. Her sugars have been staying in the range of 200-290mg/dl (11.1-16.0mmol/l) especially when eating even after insulin which usually takes it down nicely. But it keeps bouncing back up, so i definitely know the insulin needs adjusting to cover the rises she's getting.

MimiBee - I don't know if you've seen these before: http://www.nhslanarkshire.org.uk/Se...Sick Day Rules for Type 1 Diabetes Oct 16.pdf

I'm not T1 and have no experience of a child wiith T1, but my understanding is our bodies can react differently to our usual regime when we're off colour.

If you don't have a copy of the Sick Day Rules, please do discuss it with your daughter's Doc or Team next you see them.

Sounds like she might have a viral thing, so keep the fluids up, but when blood sugars are running high it is useful to be able to test for ketones, to be on the safe side. I'm sure that's something the health care pros can help with.

I do hope the little one feels better soon. It's a stressful time for you all, but you'll soon be old hands.