Newly diagnosed and tiredness

jojojojo2012

We were dx a week ago my son is 6.5. We caught it early and he wasn't unwell and was ok to return to school after half term but 3 days in he doesn't want to go to school. We never have this prob he likes school. His bg is often on the low side, morning before food is 4.2/4.3 and usually before lunch in the low 4s school are going to start bg mid morning and aft too yesterday aft he was 13.8 so I don't know! But anyway this morning heartbreaking he sons quietly he doesn't want to go to school he's pale and quiet and I've left him at school now upset myself as gotta go to work. He never had tiredness before dx was a happy little boy.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jojojojo2012

He's having novo rapid before meals 2 units and levermir bedtime 6units. Feel so out of control cos I'm with him all the time he's at school. At mo I'm going in at lunch to inject him and he's always quiet and subdued. He was never like that before.

Just Laura

My daughter is 6 1/2 and has been type 1 for just over a year now. She copes amazingly well but I do remember the first few weeks being really hard - on all of us.
She also never got to the really poorly stage before diagnosis and it was a massive shock.

She was much hungrier and more tired than normal with screaming highs and lows but it did settle within a couple of weeks and it was like having our little girl back.

So, take heart, it does get easier. As always, it just takes time.

x