1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newly diagnosed and worried about life expectancy

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Emertype1, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Glucobabu

Glucobabu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It’s the start of a journey and it’s not half as bad as some other conditions that people are unfortunate to be burdened with.
    When I was diagnosed at 22 my doctor told me, “The more you know about diabetes the longer and healthier you will live”. Now 45 years later I still go by that and believe that I haven’t done too badly. We are much better equipped now to deal with our condition. Never stop learning. Follow your interests and passions. You will find that life ahead is a lot brighter and
    more colourful than it would seem at the moment!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Circuspony

Circuspony Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My mum's friend was diagnosed 70 years ago and is still going strong!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. videoman

videoman Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Don't worry to much ; just do what the doctors require you to do and then you will know what you should do and what you should not do. It's all a learning curve which you will learn to "drive" for a better live and live longer as I was diagnosed at 14 and now I am 73 ,with only a few small problems which are not bad for my age?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Maybe they were already doing that? Simply saying 'stop worrying' is dismissive in my opinion, this person has suddenly been told they have a lifelong disease which requires constant monitoring and attention to a degree that is life changing. Stop worrying?, it's not just a question of a 'diet only' approach (which I know can be hard), it's everything else that comes with being insulin dependent.

5. Dexterdobe

Dexterdobe Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just back from a work trip and saw your reply. I didn't intend my post to be dismissive in any way. That said, stress raises BG levels and worrying about our condition isn't helpful. Positive action to control BG is far more productive than worrying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook