Newly diagnosed in Japan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
I'm a Brit living in Japan, and was diagnosed as Type II just over two weeks ago.

After the initial shock I joined this forum, have been researching diabetes, and made some changes to my diet in an effort to get things under control (in fact, to 'feel' more like I'm in control). I've been prescribed a medicine called Nesina, which is basically Metformin. I also recently ordered a blood glucose meter, which came yesterday. It's all very new for me, so I'm still obsessing about my blood sugar levels, keeping the amount of carbs consumed to a minimum, and exercising often. Have already lost 3kgs, which I'm somewhat happy about. Am feeling a little more relaxed about things now.

Anyway, I've already got a lot of valuable info from this site during my lurking period, and I hope to find out more as I continue on this journey.

Best
Peter

Reactions: Ragmar and rom35

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum! this place has been a wealth of information for me as well. Congrats on the weight loss, from what I've been reading, losing weight helps with the insulin sensitivity and will help in the future with management. I've always been interested in Japan, how are you liking it?

I remember getting my glucometer, I went through so many strips a day testing and retesting. If your ever need any questions answered, ask away, I'll try and help as best as I can and if I can't I'm pretty sure someone on the forum will.

Take care. Wishing you the best in your management and care.
Peter.

Last edited:
Reactions: nodrog_in_japan