Newly diagnosed, not new to the forum

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After a decade of bumbling along with lowish carbs and normal/prediabetes results, I got a skin infection that needed antibiotics in December 2020. Casually mentioned to the doctor perhaps I should have a HBA1C as it had been 18 months. This was arranged in January and the result was 108.

Urgent appointment with GP , ketones +++ and current blood glucose 24. GP asks if there was anyone with type 1 in my family? Yes my Dad. GP says you need to go to hospital today. I was terrified as covid rates were still very high. My time in hospital was very confusing due to mixed messages about level of ketones but I was very happy to get home that evening.

I have had supportive, consistent care at home for 3 months and was discharged by the hospital diabetes nurse this week with 'you have done really well, you have my mobile number if you need anything and I will ask the GP to keep providing you with test strips.'

C-peptide normal and negative for antibodies x3. Metformin did not work at full dose at first but gliclazide at the lowest dose worked a little too well. I'm now back in single figures on metformin for the last 2 weeks.

It seems unreal and I feel like a failure but I need to get over myself. So, I'm back here looking for inspiration and motivation from you fab positive people.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there

I remember you from a while back. 108 was my diagnosis HbA1c too.

Are you taking any medications? And sounds like you’re already seeing reductions in blood sugars?

Reactions: jjraak

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, full dose of metformin and I am staying in just in single figures for last two weeks.
I remember you and your amazing commitment and success. Also your screen name reminds me growing up in Islington and Hackney with 3 football obsessed older brothers.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you’re doing well and with just the metformin you’re good to drop the carbs as much as you want.

Stick around here and I’m sure you’ll have things nailed!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Alison Campbell,

I remember you from back then too, so please have a big hug and welcome back.

Glad to see you with more normal blood sugars now after this big scare (hospital and all).

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back

That sounds like a scary experience.

As @Goonergal said if you are only on metformin you can start to cut the carbs and hopefully feel a lot better.

As people keep saying it is a marathon not a sprint so you are definitely not a failure- you've only just left the starting block.

Stick around, read, ask questions, vent when needed.

Good luck and welcome back.