Newly Diagnosed Son Aged 10

Jayden2407

Hi, my son was recently diagnosed and he’s taking everything really well so far.
My question is - should I be testing him every night (through the night)? I have tested him a few times but that was only to follow up high readings (over 14) to check it was coming down. Other than that I just check on him when I nip to the loo in the night.
Any advice would be great, thank you

Heyrehair

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, my son was recently diagnosed and he’s taking everything really well so far.
My question is - should I be testing him every night (through the night)? I have tested him a few times but that was only to follow up high readings (over 14) to check it was coming down. Other than that I just check on him when I nip to the loo in the night.
Any advice would be great, thank you
Hi,

As every experience is different for each family I would stick to the advice that the pdsn team have given for overnight testing.

We're 9 months post diagnosis and still learning all the time. Having a CGM makes it easier overnight, but we are still up all hours.

Good luck for the future.

Reactions: Jayden2407

Jayden2407

Hi,

As every experience is different for each family I would stick to the advice that the pdsn team have given for overnight testing.

We're 9 months post diagnosis and still learning all the time. Having a CGM makes it easier overnight, but we are still up all hours.

Good luck for the future.

Thanks for your reply.

They haven’t really given any advice - just to test him? I’m not sure how often?
What is a CGM?
Sorry to sound daft!

Heyrehair

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your reply.

They haven’t really given any advice - just to test him? I’m not sure how often?
What is a CGM?
Sorry to sound daft!
Hi,

No daft questions here, we are all learning.

CGM is continuous Glucose Monitoring. A few different devices out there, but we use a dexcom. we insert a small sensor into the skin which transmits the tissue blood glucose levels to a remote handset. It's about 15 minutes behind a finger prick test in terms of accuracy but great for kids without hypo awareness. Once inserted it typically doesn't need reinsertion for 7 days.

Some NHS trusts fund this, but otherwise people self fund, but it is not cheap.

I'd recheck protocols for overnight tests with your pdsn as it's important.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Heyrehair . The dexcom is brilliant :). My current sensor is on day 31 and still running accurate with blood sugar.
This is the best sensor yet, I usually get around 21 days out of a sensor.

Do you reboot after the 7 days are up ?

Heyrehair

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
@Heyrehair . The dexcom is brilliant :). My current sensor is on day 31 and still running accurate with blood sugar.
This is the best sensor yet, I usually get around 21 days out of a sensor.

Do you reboot after the 7 days are up ?
We're on a G5, but regularly change on schedule as it is for our 2 year old daughter. Results vary, but at her age it is invaluable to us.