Newly diagnosed T1 diabetes - fluctuation of insulin requirements

SamTM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently got diagnosed (just under a month ago), and have now stated to carb count through the advice of my dietician as was having multiple hypos per day. I understand that I am going through the honeymoon period, but it is quite hard to count when my ratios keep changing. Initially tried 1 to 10, which then led to 1 to 12. This was all going well for a few days, but then was suddenly too much insulin and the cycle of hypos returned. Now doing 1 to 15 units which worked fine for a day but was again too much. As this is so low, it is also hard with smaller meals such as breakfast, as only take two units but I often need to snack quite a bit between the meals to make sure I don't go too low, but still on levels between 4 and 5 at the reading before the next meal.

Was wondering for any advice on how to improve going forward, and if anyone else experienced this sort of behaviour when initially diagnosed!

Thanks in advance,

Sam.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Sam
welcome to the forum :)

you have a lot to take on board at first -- some practical suggestions

1/2 unit pen to help with high insulin to carb ratios 1u:12 carb , 1u:15 carb , 1u : 20 carb etc etc
stick to a routine eating the exact same things at meals to help learn what an insulin dose does to your body
lots of testing at 1 , 2 , 3 , hour post meal to double check your insulin dose

other than that -- cut yourself some slack -- this lasts a long time so getting into a routine helps and realising that it does not go perfectly every day no matter how hard you try ( 43 years here :D )

keep posting Sam !!!!!!!
all the best ! :)

Reactions: 2 people

SamTM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you both, just looked them up and they do seem like they would be useful! - will enquire with my DSN tomorrow to see what he thinks:)

Reactions: 4 people