Newly diagnosed T1D wanting a pump on NHS

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If your heart is set on a pump my advice would be, push them push a little more & then when you think you’ve pushed enough push again. If they try to fob you off with the Dafne course & you seriously don’t want to do it then don’t let them get you with that one either because they tried that with me. I would say Dafne for you would be seriously helpful as a newly diagnosed. Another option which is what I did would be to complete the online Bertie course & send your team the certificate at the end, they accepted this is a education course for me.

I first spoke to the hospital at the start of November about a pump, I was basically fobbed off and told even if my consultant accepted my Bertie course it would be well into next year before I could have a pump. Fast forward to now, after constant emails and phoning them at least once a week I get my 780g with CGM on the 7th of jan.

Angusc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ask your diabetic team to cost a bad or average year (999 call out, hospital and A&E costs) to compare with costs of a pump and a CGM and use it your request for a pump as 1 (999 call out,+a few days in hospital) will most likely cost more the the yearly running cost of pump+CGM :) if they refuse it appeal and ask your MP to write a letter about why they are wasting money by not giving you a pump. as funding bodies really dislike MP's asking those type's of question's :) that got me a pump + sensor after being refused :)