newly diagnosed t2-gutted and confused

graciefaye

Hi

Was diagnosed 4 days ago and I feel gutted, confused and upset. Dont want to sound sorry for myself but saw my Mum suffer before she died and my husband also suffers, I know I've got it all to come. Just dont know where to start with all this information and trying to cope with sickness, runs and wind from the Metformin and work long hours.

Will this ever get better?

Graciefaye :shock:

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't need to suffer, you can keep your blood sugar levels under control to help prevent complications. Just be proactive with diet and treatment, and don't be complacent - if you have high blood sugar do something about it (even if the 'something' is increased/different medication).

If you are still having side effects in a week or so from the metformin, ask your GP for the slow release version instead, this can help with side effects.

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi gracey
I was diagnosed 4wk ago T2 unlike yorself i don't know anyone locally who is diabetic.However please don't feel alone as roughly 20 people have joined the forum this weekend and there is loads of really helpfull people on here. The initial shock is a frightening process but it will settle down everyone has different coping mechanisms
:D welcome to the forum JF.
Ps have a good look around :D

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Gracey and welcome to the forum :) I can understand you feel upset and confused after your diagnosis but you will feel a bit better about things when some time has passed. I am assuming you are a type 2 since you say you are on Metformin. You don't necessarily have to suffer and you may even not have the same type of diabetes as your husband and mother. It is different for everybody. If you control your diabetes well you can keep complications at bay for a long time and many of us don't have any at all. The Metformin can be unpleasant at first but the side effects may wear off - otherwise as HLW says you can change to the slow release version which doesn't give the same side effects. In the meantime make sure you take your Metformin during a meal, not before or after as this can reduce the unpleasant side effects. It is important also to get yourself a testing kit and test regularly to see what certain foods do to your levels. I realise you might already know a lot about diabetes but I am posting you some basic advice from the Forum Monitors which is how we advise people to deal with their diabetes. This may well be different from what your husband does but this may help him too. This is what we believe is the best way to look after diabetes. Here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088#p155405

If you need to know anything at all don't hesitate to post a question on here and someone will be able to help you.

trand

Hi gracie, yes i too was angry not so much confused, maybe more angry with the lack of support from the d.n, but found all i needed to know on here, and now quite stable so to speak , theres loads of VERY helpful people on here, a great site,....good luck don't be afraid to ask, :D

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Gracie (I'm sorry I spelled your name wrong last time). Your question about the best time to test. First start with a fasting test immediately after you get up. Then test before each meal. Test after the meal after 2 hours. Then one more test just before you go to bed. The after meal tests will help you work out the effect certain foods have on your levels and should be roughly the same as the before meal test. This is the ideal testing routine but of course it depends on how many strips you can manage to get. Once you have worked out what each food does to you, you can test less often. Hope this helps. :)

jinstone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to eat deserts :)
Gracie,

Don't forget a morning test before breakfast etc. may well be anything from 3-4 higher on your blood monitor. this results from the liver releasing glucose in the early hours of the morning but really appears to confuse results. You could be 6-7 in the evening and 9-10 in the morning.

I've only been diagnosed T2 for 6 months now but also know the feelings of frustration etc.

Bare with it, once you start to get the hang it's not too bad. A nice chicken curry and couple of pints of larger can give me some of my lowest readings.

Take care.
Jeremy

zhaith

After doing some reading i've found that if I eat something with a few carbs and I mean 3-4 max about an hour before i go to bed i dont have the spike in levels I used to have on waking.

A cheese flavor oatcake with a piece of cheddar and i dont seem to have the spike in levels I used to have on waking.