Newly diagnosed T2 - meds or not?!

Magneto2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As an update, things are going well, I think. Yesterday and today, all my readings have been between 6-7, which is a huge change from even just a few days ago. My fasting test today way 6.7, which I'm really happy with :) Still work to be done, but the low carb diet seems to be working so far, and I'm really pleased I haven't yet needed to take the Glyclazide. I have a call with my dr tomorrow so will tell him my levels and go from there.
My eye sight is a little all over the place though. I had an eye test at the weekend and was reassured that the back of my eyes look healthy and there's no sign of other issues, but I'm really stuggling to see close up work (I work on a computer 8 hours a day so this isn't helpful). The optition said it's normal for eye sight to change until BG levels stabilise, so I guess I need to be patient, but has anyone else had this issue, and if so how long did it last? I've now got some reading glasses to use for computer work, but that prescription will probably change again soon (I'm hoping it will as the prescription is pretty large!) and I'm long sighted so things are still blurry generally, when I'm not doing close work!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As an update, things are going well, I think. Yesterday and today, all my readings have been between 6-7, which is a huge change from even just a few days ago. My fasting test today way 6.7, which I'm really happy with :) Still work to be done, but the low carb diet seems to be working so far, and I'm really pleased I haven't yet needed to take the Glyclazide. I have a call with my dr tomorrow so will tell him my levels and go from there.
My eye sight is a little all over the place though. I had an eye test at the weekend and was reassured that the back of my eyes look healthy and there's no sign of other issues, but I'm really stuggling to see close up work (I work on a computer 8 hours a day so this isn't helpful). The optition said it's normal for eye sight to change until BG levels stabilise, so I guess I need to be patient, but has anyone else had this issue, and if so how long did it last? I've now got some reading glasses to use for computer work, but that prescription will probably change again soon (I'm hoping it will as the prescription is pretty large!) and I'm long sighted so things are still blurry generally, when I'm not doing close work!
Yes I had major blurriness when suddenly going low carb. It did clear up my itself. Probably not worth getting a new prescription as it will settle or change again. Perhaps just some cheap off the peg glasses to see you through.
If it helps it seems its the sugars that are now being washed out of your fat cells that you can actually see... means its working!
From memory it did take few weeks

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Loads of people find that’s the case and within weeks need a new prescription. Keep hold of your receipt!

If your optician knew this and still sold you readers then he’s going to be out of pocket when you return in a few weeks saying they are no good and ask for a retest and replacement specs! (Specsavers at least will retest if you insist they aren’t working, so others should if they do)

Magneto2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I had major blurriness when suddenly going low carb. It did clear up my itself. Probably not worth getting a new prescription as it will settle or change again. Perhaps just some cheap off the peg glasses to see you through.
If it helps it seems its the sugars that are now being washed out of your fat cells that you can actually see... means its working!
From memory it did take few weeks
Thanks, taht's reassuring to hear! It's really worried me as it feels like my sight has changed overnight, but good to know it's normal and will hopefully stabilise!

Magneto2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Loads of people find that’s the case and within weeks need a new prescription. Keep hold of your receipt!

If your optician knew this and still sold you readers then he’s going to be out of pocket when you return in a few weeks saying they are no good and ask for a retest and replacement specs! (Specsavers at least will retest if you insist they aren’t working, so others should if they do)
Thanks. The optition was great and told me it would likely change within a few weeks and so was reluctant to actually test my eyes. I pushed him to test so that I could get some super cheap glasses for the interim, so I can't blame him. I need to work on the computer and can take a few days off, but I can't afford to wait a few weeks without being able to see properly so that's why I went for some glasses for now. I'm really hoping that in 4 weeks time (my next eye test) my prescription has changed drastically - at the moment it's very strong!

liviu1956

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution : A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars

liviu1956

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I was diagnosed with T2 last Friday with an HBa1c of 101. The doc has prescribed 30mg of Glyclazide (once daily). I've collected the prescription but not started it yet as I'm not keen to take it. Immediately on diagnosis I came on here and got lots of useful information and therefore made some quick changes to my diet (reducing carbs to 50-100g a day). I've got a meter, as advised by the doctor, and have been testing. Initially my BG reading was 23, but that has come down steadily over the week, with changes in my diet. It's come down to around 12 in the morning and between 8-9 throughout the day (testing before and 2 hours after a meal) and doesn't move above 2 points after eating. I've been exercising too, but have a foot injury which is now making that very challenging. I initially had symptoms of extreme thirst/needing to pee. That has got much better, but I now have some concerns about blurry vision/floaters (I've booked an eye test).

I'm not keen to take the pills unless necessary, but I'm unsure if diet alone is appropriate, or if my levels will fall any lower than they currently are (which is obviously still too high). I suspect my cholestrol is also high (tested yesterday and dr wants to discuss results) so I'm not sure if low carb/higher fat diet will help that.
I've had a call with the diabetic nurse, and tried to express my concerns about the medication, but was told not to worry and to take it and come back in 3 months! I know if I do take the medication then a low carb diet isn't recommended. It seems that I'm making progress though through diet, so I'm really unsure what's best.

Any
would be very gratefully recieved! Thank you :)

liviu1956

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I was diagnosed with T2 last Friday with an HBa1c of 101. The doc has prescribed 30mg of Glyclazide (once daily). I've collected the prescription but not started it yet as I'm not keen to take it. Immediately on diagnosis I came on here and got lots of useful information and therefore made some quick changes to my diet (reducing carbs to 50-100g a day). I've got a meter, as advised by the doctor, and have been testing. Initially my BG reading was 23, but that has come down steadily over the week, with changes in my diet. It's come down to around 12 in the morning and between 8-9 throughout the day (testing before and 2 hours after a meal) and doesn't move above 2 points after eating. I've been exercising too, but have a foot injury which is now making that very challenging. I initially had symptoms of extreme thirst/needing to pee. That has got much better, but I now have some concerns about blurry vision/floaters (I've booked an eye test).

I'm not keen to take the pills unless necessary, but I'm unsure if diet alone is appropriate, or if my levels will fall any lower than they currently are (which is obviously still too high). I suspect my cholestrol is also high (tested yesterday and dr wants to discuss results) so I'm not sure if low carb/higher fat diet will help that.
I've had a call with the diabetic nurse, and tried to express my concerns about the medication, but was told not to worry and to take it and come back in 3 months! I know if I do take the medication then a low carb diet isn't recommended. It seems that I'm making progress though through diet, so I'm really unsure what's best.

Any guidance would be very gratefully recieved! Thank you :)

Dark Horse

It varies a bit but you should expect your vision to have improved within 6 weeks. Meanwhile, ready-readers from the pound shop will probably tide you over.