Newly diagnosed T2D and PCOS

Stronggirlsclub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Bluetit,
As she is TTC, that won’t happen, after Metformin it’s insulin as anything else may harm the baby.

Strong girl, I didn’t know the role that diabetes plays in conception till I went to my GP as tried with ex but it wasn’t happening. I’m now single so doing the journey alone and saving for a round of IVF abroad.

The thing is that Metformin regulates your cycle, I’m now able to know when I’m ovulating but have no one to help with the baby making. Everyone’s journey is different. Have you had your ovaries scanned and your hormones done? This will let you know where you are, also see if you can get a referral to the conception clinic as you have been trying for a while. Good luck

I’ve always had regular cycles and definately ovulate, although I do have most of the other common symptoms. I had 7dpo bloods taken last week (which is also when HbA1C was run) and will have CD1 tests this coming Friday. So will hopefully learn more soon.

Good luck with the IVF. It’s an exciting step!

Stronggirlsclub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With an HbA1c as high as yours, you may well find yourself being prescribed a stronger drug than Metformin, so don't be surprised if this happens. It may not.

I was so shocked at the result. I kind of expected to be in pre-diabetic realms but never for one moment thought it would be that high. At 32 this is pretty terrifying and makes me wonder if something else is going on. I definately need to shift some weight, but with a BMI of 32 I really didn’t expect to have a HbA1C of over 100!

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
Thank you everyone for the replies. They’ve been really useful.

I have tried low carb in the past as I always found it the quickest way to drop weight but was never able to stick to it. This diagnosis will hopefully give me the motivation I need. Is there a specific starter plan or anything I could follow?

Just a thought as it's a trap I've fallen into - to my cost. You mention low carbing in the past but have you taken fruit into account? We are told to eat 5 a day [at least] yet nowhere is it mentioned how high in carbs fruit is.

Stronggirlsclub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a thought as it's a trap I've fallen into - to my cost. You mention low carbing in the past but have you taken fruit into account? We are told to eat 5 a day [at least] yet nowhere is it mentioned how high in carbs fruit is.

You’ve hit the nail on the head! No pasta, potatoes or bread....but as much fruit as I can possibly fit in my tummy. Seems crazy now!

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Strong girl,

Just wondering if your aware that there is a difference between PCO and PCOS, some people like me have both. Diabetes is a very common illness associated with PCOS along with heart disease. I would advise that you read up on it.

NC

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We’re trying to have a family. TTC means ‘trying to conceive’ I do apologise if that’s a little TMI.

I should have worked it out! My fault. It is 48 years almost since I was TTC. I really wish you the best of luck - you have a great motivating factor. :)

Stronggirlsclub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m just wondering about timelines. If I go LCHF, how soon should I expect to see improvements in my SMBG readings?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine started to come down relatively quickly. I had lots of hickups along the way.

You need to keep a food diary. Test before the first bite and two hours after. You will soon identify those foods that cause a spike.

Some of my spikes were as a result of eating too much, so portion control is important.

I recently got the app mySugr, after 6 days it had enough data to give me an estimated HbA1c reading. This is currently 38 from 122 in November. It is a massive motivator for me. I keep a spreadsheet with blood pressure and BG readings too.

I am also looking into intermittent fasting for when I return from my holiday. Good luck.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m just wondering about timelines. If I go LCHF, how soon should I expect to see improvements in my SMBG readings?

There are no hard and fast timescales as we are all different, with different medications, different degrees of pancreatic damage, different amount of insulin resistance, and different eating plans. Providing you stick to low carb religiously, keep a food diary, test in an organised and structured way, you should see your levels dropping fairly soon, with nice downwards trends. The best test for judging how you are doing overall is normally the one before evening meal. (as long as you haven't been snacking in the afternoon!) in addition to the amount by which you are rising from before to after eating.