Newly Diagnosed TP1

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
Hiya everyone I am new to this and have no clue what I'm doing I'm new to this being newly diagnosed so I'm still adapting Just wanted to see what this forums like and get to know fellow diabetics even some maybe from my area and chat away really x
Hi I was in the same position as you 6 months ago, didn't have a clue. I have a very good NHS diet clinic and nurse. Buy the book carbs and Cals off Amazon I found it a great help. I dose 1mmg of insulin (apidra) for every 10grms of carbs and it seems to work for me.
I take 16mmg of lantus before bed. I have had a few hypos but nothing to worry about.
You will find so much help here.:)

Reactions: 2 people

Freefall_Ash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya everyone, welcome! I was diagnosed in May 2015. At first I also struggled with only eating at mealtimes - my diabetes team were quite strict with me but I think it helped in the long run. It gets a heck of a lot easier and the more you understand the condition the more freedom you can have I guess. A bit like if you were say a pro sailor you would choose whichever boat and sails you liked best from experience but at first it's better to stick with what's recommended until you get a feel for it.

Just tackle one thing at a time and we're all here to help!

Cha-Lloes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got the carbs and cals book and done the carb course which I found helpful but now I've hit a wall with my levels and it's so frustrating touchwood I've stopped having hypos but gone the opposite way now and I'm high. I carb count everything, no junk food but still high

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you read 'Think Like A Pancreas' by Gary Scheiner? It's a must read for T1s, really helped me understand it and get it under control.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I've got the carbs and cals book and done the carb course which I found helpful but now I've hit a wall with my levels and it's so frustrating touchwood I've stopped having hypos but gone the opposite way now and I'm high. I carb count everything, no junk food but still high
in the first few months following diagnosis it can be hard to get to grips with everything partly because your own body is still partly trying to fight off the destruction of the beta cells in the pancreas ( this results in BG's sort of all over the place )

in addition as a young lady you will have other female hormones adding to the complexity of sorting out blood sugars so it is no wonder you feel as though you have hit a wall.

the main thing to do is try your best not to worry and to take things 1 day at a time.
really try to look for all the things that you do right !!
in addition keep in regular touch with your DSN ( diabetic nurse) to review blood tests and insulin doses to make adjustments to your routine.
and do keep talking on here too --:)

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cha-Lloes

How many carbs are you having per meal? Have you tried LCHF yet?
Lots of carbs means matching with insulin. Reducing the carbs drastically worked wonders for me, and my BGs are steady now in the 5-6 range. (I was off the meter at diagnosis, and had an Hba1c of 101)

Cha-Lloes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm having 1unit per 20g of carbs for breakfast & Lunch and then tea it's either 25 or 15 can't remember what it is right now, when I'm
Not in work my levels are good when I'm in work they shoot up high, I don't even do anything stressful in work haha. But I don't know what it is with me. No I haven't read that book either I'll have to get that hopefully it'll help me. This is helping me loads by talking on this, because I don't know any other diabetic.