Newly diagnosed Type 1/DKA

Babsi

Hello, diagnosed 4 weeks ago with type 1 diabetes after being hospitalised with DKA.
I think I'm in the honeymoon phase, insulin doses have been reduced twice due to bloods being low and a bit all over the place. I've started using the freestyle libre sensor, just wandered what others who use it think of it?

mandedog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Babsi. Welcome to the club we didn’t ask to join! I am a relative newbie having only been diagnosed 9 months ago with a DKA that landed me in hospital. I think I might still be in the honeymoon period as my insulin needs are gradually increasing.
I have used Freestyle Libre since week 2 and am so glad that I do not have to do continual fingerpricks. I do one first thing every morning and then after that only if my readings are high- above 15- or low- below 4. The Libre is not always accurate with low and high numbers so best to be sure. I have not had any problems with adhesive and have only had one sensor give up after 12days instead of 14 . I am in Canada so not sure if UK still has the 10 day Libre?

I found that I was checking way too much at the start and became fixated on the numbers. I have gradually gained confidence and do not need to check quite so much. I tend to use my iPhone rather than the monitor it comes with. I found that if you use both, you can only download the results from your phone which I then send to my diabetes team when I have an appointment.
Let me know if I can help with anything else and good luck as you start out!

Faten988

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Any number below 4 or above 14, you have check blood glucose by using finger pricks. But anyway, it will make a Beep sounds as alert, so you have to make sure the accurate number by using glucose meter.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any number below 4 or above 14, you have check blood glucose by using finger pricks. But anyway, it will make a Beep sounds as alert, so you have to make sure the accurate number by using glucose meter.
Hi, have you got the libre 2? There are no alarm 'bleeps' on the libre 1 sensors and I believe libre 1 is all that is available in the UK at the moment.

It is a great bit of kit. Great for showing trends when you use the libre view graphs via the website especially. I've found mine accurate but many on here haven't so back up finger prick tests are useful, just remember the 15 min lag of the sensor behind capillary tests. I'd order repeat scripts 2 weeks in advance so you're not stuck if there are supply chain delays.

Work closely with your diabetes team to set targets. It is usual to gradually lower your glucose levels especially if you were diagnosed with DKA. I was too, but almost 15 years ago now. Don't be scared to email your DSN either, keep asking questions it is a lot to learn at first but they're there to help you. No reason why your life should be restricted in any way once the initial learning curve is completed :)

Similarly, any questions for us ask away!