Newly diagnosed type 1, wanting to make friends!

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I had one in the hospital during the week with a reading of 3.1. Although they woke me up to check my levels and found out I was having a hypo so I just thought it was all from where I'd woken up! Xxx
Please remember when you do have 1 at home etc not to panic. My 1st one scared me and I ate everything in sight and had high BS after as a result!!, had a racing heart and really bad sweats! A carton of orange juice and 10 minutes later a couple of digestives and you will be fine

Reactions: 2 people

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Zoe and a massive welcome.

Your positivity is fantastic and that is so needed with this illness and you have found this forum also.

Keep close and before you know it your'll know the ins and outs. Though at times they can become inside outs but thats what this forums for.

Your'll get everything you need here Zoe :)

And look at the friends you've made already !

Welcome...

Aww thank you so much. I don't really feel very positive at times and it's hard to try and stay upbeat. xxx

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please remember when you do have 1 at home etc not to panic. My 1st one scared me and I ate everything in sight and had high BS after as a result!!, had a racing heart and really bad sweats! A carton of orange juice and 10 minutes later a couple of digestives and you will be fine

Thank you babe. I've got a feeling it will be a while before that happens as I'm in a constant state of hyperglycaemia. My reading after dinner was 14.3. Never had single figures as yet! Lol xxx

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Thank you babe. I've got a feeling it will be a while before that happens as I'm in a constant state of hyperglycaemia. My reading after dinner was 14.3. Never had single figures as yet! Lol xxx
Dont worry you will get those readings into single figures soon im sure x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Contact your DSN and mention that your getting high bg readings, they will advise you on adjusting your insulin to bring your levels down.

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Contact your DSN and mention that your getting high bg readings, they will advise you on adjusting your insulin to bring your levels down.

I'm going to contact her tomorrow as I was admitted to hospital yesterday as well so I need to talk to her about it all. Think my insulin needs increasing. Xxx

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Totally agree with Type1Bri.

You've only been in a week Zoe :) Your'll get them down.

Remember, positivity breeds progress, negativity doesn't !

Reactions: 5 people

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Totally agree with Type1Bri.

You've only been in a week Zoe :) Your'll get them down.

Remember, positivity breeds progress, negativity doesn't !

Thank you babe!! I'm trying to be as positive as I can. I just feel hungry all the time too. Xxx

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I'm going to contact her tomorrow as I was admitted to hospital yesterday as well so I need to talk to her about it all. Think my insulin needs increasing. Xxx
Always best to speak with the DSN in the first few weeks, you will gain confidence and speak to them less but they are always there for you too.
Sounds like you already have a fair idea as you are thinking your insulin needs increasing, already you are on the right lines but need to speak with DSN before changing that dose yourself, for the time being anyways :)

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
What was you admitted for yesterday, did you have DKA again??

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Oh that's not good
Deffo think your DSN will increase your insulin tomorrow when you speak
Good luck tomorrow hope all goes well xx

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Zoe,

Sounds like you are taking this all pretty well. Bit of a sucky club to join but hey ho. Plenty of other crazies round here :)

Plenty of people have already mentioned DAFNE and they tend to make you wait 6 months largely I think so that you can settle and not have information overload. Personally I think this is the wrong approach.

If you want to get a head start on carb counting and dose adjustment the BDEC course (available online too at http://bdec-e-learning.com/) is fairly similar to DAFNE in its principles. Since you are still so new to it all I would strongly suggest that you go through the course and then use the knowledge you gain to discuss with your DSN any changes you are going to make in terms of adjustment.

Like I said if nothing else it will give you a leg up so that DAFNE is not all new when you do get on a course.

Good luck and hope you manage to get yourself leveled out. I remember the crazy highs and lows after I was diagnosed made me feel like death warmed over.

/A

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Zoe,

Sounds like you are taking this all pretty well. Bit of a sucky club to join but hey ho. Plenty of other crazies round here :)

Plenty of people have already mentioned DAFNE and they tend to make you wait 6 months largely I think so that you can settle and not have information overload. Personally I think this is the wrong approach.

If you want to get a head start on carb counting and dose adjustment the BDEC course (available online too at http://bdec-e-learning.com/) is fairly similar to DAFNE in its principles. Since you are still so new to it all I would strongly suggest that you go through the course and then use the knowledge you gain to discuss with your DSN any changes you are going to make in terms of adjustment.

Like I said if nothing else it will give you a leg up so that DAFNE is not all new when you do get on a course.

Good luck and hope you manage to get yourself leveled out. I remember the crazy highs and lows after I was diagnosed made me feel like death warmed over.

/A

Thank you!!

It's so nice to know there's such lovely people out there who are willing to help and give advice.

It's all so new to me and yes, it is a lot of information to take in. Just when I think I start to understand something it changes again. Xxx

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Lol
This is a journey full of changes
I had mine all settled and level, then I got a bad cold and BOOM, levels all over the place
Followed the DAFNE rules to the letter and it worked!!!
All better now :)

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol
This is a journey full of changes
I had mine all settled and level, then I got a bad cold and BOOM, levels all over the place
Followed the DAFNE rules to the letter and it worked!!!
All better now :)

I guess I've got all that to come - haha..

My DSN upped my insulin yesterday slightly so have to see how it goes although my reading this morning was 17.4. xxx

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
You will deal with it all in your stride im sure
Thats good that they have upped your insulin, thats what I felt needed to happen, but it isn't down to us to advise others of changing doses etc, especially as you are so new to all of this
What amounts of insulin are you now taking?
Is it a set dose for each meal?

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have 5 novo rapid at breakfast then 4 and 4 at lunch and dinner. Then 9 levemir at bed and I know these amounts are still not right!! I'm trying to change my diet too but feel like all I'm eating is salad. I miss my stodgy food lol xxx

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have 5 novo rapid at breakfast then 4 and 4 at lunch and dinner. Then 9 levemir at bed and I know these amounts are still not right!! I'm trying to change my diet too but feel like all I'm eating is salad. I miss my stodgy food lol xxx
It takes time. You need to be patient.

Bear in mind that it took nature millions of years to get the pancreas and beta cells right to where they do (well did) their job just right. You cant expect to figure it all out in a few weeks. What also doesnt help is things are still changing as you are still in the honeymoon period.

For the first couple of months I was diagnosed I was on 8U of lantus and was taking novorapid in set doses of 8 at breakfast, 6 at lunch and 8 for dinner. I was almost always high. Once we started to zero in on it all and I got my head around dose adjustment and correction I got it such that I more or less sit around 5 or 6 except when I have eaten. Lunch always seems to cause me to spike to between 9 and 12 while other meals the insulin covers it perfectly and I am mostly flat.

For now, learn what you can, ask any questions that come to mind. We will usually try to help and remember we were all in your position once upon a time. A silly question is only silly if you dont know the answer and don't ask.

/A