Newly Diagnosed - Type 1

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello all,

It's been a month now that I've been dealing with Type 1 - huge shock to the system and my life was initially turned upside down. I have the other issue of my career being on the line since I'm an airline pilot.

I experienced all the usual symptoms of weight loss, thirst and frequent trips to the toilet. However, due to change to my healthier foods at work, cutting back on rubbish food and walkings 2 miles each day from my car to the aircraft back to my car at the end of the shift would be the answer for my weight loss, I had some oral thrush which made me use an over the counter gel with a side effect of a dry mouth and therefore we thought that was causing the thirst... To top it off being a pilot I have a yearly medical to which a urine test is done for diabetes, blood and protien. I tested all clear and passed my medical. I didn't think it could be diabetes! Things deteriorated and 3 weeks after my medical I flew one flight and had to go home after. Went to the doctors and all the bloods under the sun were taken - I'm not over/under weight, I eat well, I exercise, I drink very occasionally, I've never smoked! The doctor had no answer. Well a few hours passed and I got the call - my blood sugar was high at 29mmol/l. I was in hospital the following day with DKA and was in for 2 days. Within hours I felt a changed man.

I've been on the insulin pens for a month now, and currently on the pump for a week with saline solution - this should hopefully fine tune my control for my job. In terms of results I'm nicely in the 5-10mmol/l range but still tweaking the ratios and little and having to contend with a potential honeymoon period too. My HbA1C clocked in at 139 so hopefully that will be on the way down.

I've been happily out with friends/out at restaurants and calculating my insulin whilst out and about which has been working well so far. Back on the bike cycling away with frequent checks of my bloods which again seems to be going well!

Thought I'd sahre my short story of T1 so far - just got to accept it and get on with it. Easier said than done however.

C

catherinecherub

Hello @ScottyD and welcome to the forum.

Other Type1s will be able to relate to your experience and are always here to answer any questions that you may have.