Newly diagnosed - Type 1

dan_zero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, just want to introduce myself... was diagnosed with T1 one week ago, after a couple of months of losing weight and having no energy, followed by unquenchable thirst. I'm 44, so although it was not a surprise, given the symptoms, it's still a bit of a shock to be told I have Type 1 and for it to be 'real'. Now getting to grips with testing and basal/bolus insulin pens. The DSN at the hospital was truly amazing, phoning me every few hours those first few days to check on me - even on her day off!

So far I think I'm doing OK. Keeping BG under 10 for the most part, although my love of carbs is causing a few spikes. Eyes have changed quite a lot, I'm now unable to read my phone without it being 3 feet away. Hopefully this will settle down in the coming weeks. Still a lot to read, learn and absorb. I work in the medical research and diagnostics field, focusing on cardiovascular and metabolic disorders -- so although I know a lot about Type 2, Type 1 is new to me.

Looking forward to having my questions answered by you experts instead of the textbooks :)

-Dan

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @dan_zero, welcome :)
I'm far from an expert but thankfully there are lots of other people here who know what they're talking about :D

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Eyes have changed quite a lot, I'm now unable to read my phone without it being 3 feet away. Hopefully this will settle down in the coming weeks.

That's pretty common for new diabetics (T1 and T2). Just don't buy any expensive glasses till your eyes have settled. :)

And welcome to the forums. Hopefully your medical background will make the balancing act of insulin versus food (and everything else) easier for you.

Your DSN does sound marvellous, setting the gold standard for new diabetic care.

Are you on a basal/bolus regime for now? (One long acting dose + short acting before meals?) Long term there will be all sorts of awesome options including insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors, but newbies tend to get the traditional treatment. (If only so that they have an emergency treatment to revert back to if the technology fails.)

Anyway, sorry you've got this diagnosis but on the plus side it is one where the patient has a lot more control than other conditions. And there are very few things that it prevents you from doing. (Luckily you're not an astronaut.) Let insulin be your new best (albeit sometimes annoying) friend. :).

Reactions: TooSweetForMe

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome to the forums! I'm T2 so I can't help you much with T1 questions but I can listen if you need to vent.

Reactions: EllieM

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, just want to introduce myself... was diagnosed with T1 one week ago, after a couple of months of losing weight and having no energy, followed by unquenchable thirst. I'm 44, so although it was not a surprise, given the symptoms, it's still a bit of a shock to be told I have Type 1 and for it to be 'real'. Now getting to grips with testing and basal/bolus insulin pens. The DSN at the hospital was truly amazing, phoning me every few hours those first few days to check on me - even on her day off!

So far I think I'm doing OK. Keeping BG under 10 for the most part, although my love of carbs is causing a few spikes. Eyes have changed quite a lot, I'm now unable to read my phone without it being 3 feet away. Hopefully this will settle down in the coming weeks. Still a lot to read, learn and absorb. I work in the medical research and diagnostics field, focusing on cardiovascular and metabolic disorders -- so although I know a lot about Type 2, Type 1 is new to me.

Looking forward to having my questions answered by you experts instead of the textbooks :)

-Dan

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum.

There will probably be questions crop up as you go along. So feel free to aske away.
The eyesight should adjust as BGs stabilise? In the meantime, if reading is giving you grief on your device? There's always the "accessabilty" feature which can be tailored for the visually impaired on your phone?
Which may help for the "at a glance" stuff..

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I was 16 when diagnosed type 1 and was told I couldn't ride my moped for a week because of my blurred vision but it got better within the week and I was allowed to ride my moped again , BLISS !