Newly diagnosed type 2

elaine77

Hi Sarah,

The HbA1c test is a test just to check the average level of ur BS over the last few months so although it tells you you have diabetes it doesn't tell you which type. Defo ask for the c-peptide test and the test for antibodies too, this will tell u whether u just have a resistance or whether there is something else going on. For type 2 you should have a high c-peptide result and no antibodies although some type 2 can have the antibodies in some cases. I would also ask for a different medication ASAP if what you're on is still not working. One thing I will say though is that although some people say Metformin only brings down BS by 1 or 2 mmol, I was getting 13, 14 mmol with Gliclazide and am now getting 4.5 - 7.5 mmol on Metformin...... So I think everyone's individual when it comes to medication, the important thing is that yours is not working for you so needs to be changed. I've heard and read some awful things about Gliclazide too so if ever it isn't working I would get rid of it! :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sarah1282

Re: Newly diagnosed type 2

Hi elaine I've now been diagnosed with type 1.5 diabetes as the test has shown I have antibodies??? Im now waiting for an appointment at the hospital as my dr thinks it's best I go onto insulin but he wants me to stay on the tablets till then. I hate how long this takes :x

elaine77

I had a feeling! They really need to start doing these blood tests on more people at diagnosis as it just causes more problems in the long run! Which antibodies do you have and do you only have one type of antibody? I only have one type.. GAD65 and they told me to consider gong onto insulin ASAP aswell but I have refused so far as I am managing to keep my levels between 4 and 8 mmol just with Metformin at the minute and diet.... They say this is a honeymoon period and I will need insulin eventually but I'm not ready for that yet....I struggle even to prick my finger for blood tests.... At least you know now though and can make an informed decision :)

sarah1282

Im not sure what antibodies I have he just said they are attacking my pancreas im now on metformin glictazide and Januvia because these dont work even after not eating for 14 hours that's why he wants me to go on insulin. Im scared of taking insulin but im hoping it will make me feel better.

elaine77

Many people on the forum have said that going onto insulin was the best thing they did and they wished they had have done it sooner and that you can notice the difference immediately. U also don't have to be as strict with your diet! I think it's a personal thing for everyone... For me it's not so much being insulin dependent I'm bothered about its the injecting...I struggle with my meter pricking my finger and that's a button to press with a guard....I honestly don't think I could use an actual needle I don't think I cud muster up the courage to do it.... I realise I would have to if I couldn't control my levels myself but while I'm between 4 and 8 mmol I think I'm ok.....hopefully!

It's really whatever you feel comfortable with and if ur feeling really lousy then it might be the thing for u :)

sarah1282

It must be horrible being scared of needles im really glad your able to control your diabetes and fingers crossed that by the time you need insulin they might find a new way of giving it without needles x