newly diagnosed type 2

pauline12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told I have type 2 diabetes last week by my doctor, but should have been told over 6 months ago but doctor never got back to me , told by diabetic nurse to go on a diet no medication , was not given a blood testing machine , is this normally what happens my blood results was 52 is that ok , also suffering from very bad head and neck sweats could this be down to my diabetes , thank you so confused

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told I have type 2 diabetes last week by my doctor, but should have been told over 6 months ago but doctor never got back to me , told by diabetic nurse to go on a diet no medication , was not given a blood testing machine , is this normally what happens my blood results was 52 is that ok , also suffering from very bad head and neck sweats could this be down to my diabetes , thank you so confused
Not being given a blood testing machine for type 2's is quite normal although I recommend you buy one for yourself as soon as possible.

Being told to diet is normal although the NHS does not seem to have much of an idea what that means. I suggest that you do your best to cut out flour and sugar to begin with and any food or drink that contains them.

52 puts you in the diabetic range but with changes to your lifestyle and menu I expect you will manage to maintain that number below the diabetic range. This wont mean you are cured but the progress of the diabetes will be slowed/halted.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Pauline,

I agree that we type 2's have to be very lucky to get a meter and strips prescribed by our GP's. Do buy your own. They are the best way to learn which foods you personally can or can't cope with. Once you get one, we will explain how best to use it. If your nurse says don't test, please ignore her.

With an HbA1c of 52 there is usually no need for medication initially. Your nurse will be giving you 3 months to try diet and exercise, and if successful you may be able to avoid meds altogether. 52 isn't at all drastic, so with a changed diet you should be able to get it down even further.

As for diet, it is important to know that carbohydrates turn to sugar once inside the system - all of them, not just the obvious ones. The worst culprits are potatoes, rice, pasta and bread. We also need to be careful with milk and fruit as both contain a lot of sugar. (whole milk is marginally better than skimmed or semi skim). From a diabetic point of view, there is no need to be afraid of good fats like butter, yogurts, cheese, cream, olive or rapeseed oil etc. Fats do not raise blood sugar levels, but all carbs do. (some more than others) Look at all the food nutrition labels on everything you buy, and look for the "total carbohydrate" amounts. The fewer the better. Ignore the "of which sugars" amount.

pauline12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you for your help I will buy a meter & strips , can you give me some idea how much it will cost me .

Reactions: 2 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
well done in thinking about getting a meter and strips
many people use the codefree meter and strips. go to amazon and the meter is around £13 and the strips are around £6.99
they sound expensive but they,ve been a life saver for me.
when you get them, and are easy to use, test just before you eat, then 2 hours after eating

Reactions: 3 people