Newly Diagnosed type2 it's not sinking in

gourdNA

Hi there I'm Naomi 28 years old and have a four year old son! Recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes after having gestational! It's not really sinking in! I have had all the tests done and checks but can't seem to change anything! I had another set of a1c bloods and cholesterol lipids etc and within 24 hours the doctors surgery rung me and said the diabetic doctor wants to see me? So I have her on Wednesday! Hope everything is ok! As I am just on diet control at the moment! It could either be a lecture on lifestyle or maybe meds or I don't know! But she said the diabetic dr needed to see me not the diabetic nurse! Anyway guys hope to make some friends and have some support along this journey and hopefully I. Can offer some support too :))) xxx

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have come to the right place in my opinion. If you report back after your appointment with any questions you have I am pretty sure someone will help you out.

Reactions: 4 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
hello and welcome
you will get lots of advice here and ask as many questions as you like

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to our great forum! Have a good read, ask questions - you will find lots of advice, information and support!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@gourdNA

Hello Naomi and welcome to the forum :) You will get plenty of advice on here from members. Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. It contains lots of information about carbs to help you with your diet. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there I'm Naomi 28 years old and have a four year old son! Recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes after having gestational! It's not really sinking in! I have had all the tests done and checks but can't seem to change anything! I had another set of a1c bloods and cholesterol lipids etc and within 24 hours the doctors surgery rung me and said the diabetic doctor wants to see me? So I have her on Wednesday! Hope everything is ok! As I am just on diet control at the moment! It could either be a lecture on lifestyle or maybe meds or I don't know! But she said the diabetic dr needed to see me not the diabetic nurse! Anyway guys hope to make some friends and have some support along this journey and hopefully I. Can offer some support too :))) xxx

Do you know what your blood scores were when diagnosed? When you say you can't change anything, what do you mean by that?

Unfortunately, you've joined a club none of us wanted to be associated with, but it's not quite so horrendous when you get your head around it. Ask lots of questions on the forum, and people will help you out.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello gourd na,welcome it is scary to realise that you are diabetic at first,but the good news is its perfectly controllable with a tailored regime that suits you, when i first was diagnosed nearly 3 years ago my doc' told me take these pills ,lose some weight,don't eat sugar . But it did not help me at all...in fact i got neuropathy in my feet , it was last sept that i found this forum and the more i read the more i understood that its all about what we eat! The folk on here helped me to adjust my foods and go on the low carb' high fat regime and my weight dropped from sept14 16st 7 lbs to todays 13st 12 lbs , my blood sugar dropped from 28.5 to 5.3 today , i am now in the " normal " blood sugar range but i know that as a diabetic i will only stay normal whilst maintaining good controls
Ask as many questions as you like and you will get answers and many friends along the course of your journey to good health .

gourdNA

Thank you both so much! It is hard to get my head around! I can't seem to change my diet change anything I know I need too but I don't know why I can't with such a serious condition! I will find out the bloods on Wednesday and why she called me in so quickly after them! Either to put me on meds or something! I know what I need to do! But why is it so hard to change my life! I need to lose so much weight I used to be skinny now I'm obese! Sorry if not making much sense just bit emotionally today and because I'm only newly diagnosed I haven't got the sugar meter or meds yet! But think Wednesday will be when they sort that out! I'm also going on a Desmond course too which may make it more real! :-( I'm sure il be askin some questions soon for now just was a bit of a rant lol!

Reactions: 3 people

gourdNA

I have the original blood results from when I was diagnosed but I can't remember what they where! I know my a1c was not bad but yet the glucose tolerance was what was diagnosed wih mainly cos was very high

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
image.jpg

To the forum,Goodluck with your up and coming appointment.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Naomi, welcome :), it must all be a bit traumatic for you at the moment, but take some deep breaths and don't panic, this is manageable and we can help you.

Have a good read around, including the thread linked in my sig below and also www.dietdoctor.com/lchf, and ask any questions.

Reactions: 2 people

gourdNA

Thank u all for your welcome and messages stil trying to get my head round this forum too! Haha! Hope you Are all doing ok?

Reactions: 5 people

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gourdNA - You've arrived at the right place! This forum is a fantastic place to learn, ask questions/ advice and to chat to people who understand and are living with and managing the condition. I'm pre-diabetic and it IS a shock when first diagnosed. You may not know what to do for the best or "what next"?

But, browse the threads that interest you and apply to your circumstances and you'll learn so much. Far better advice IMO to what a Dr or diabetic nurse will give you.

I myself am reducing carbs (not strictly really low carbing) but far, far less than what I used to consume. Have a look at some of the info on LCHF (Low Carb High Fat).

Good Luck and let us know how things go :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hi Naomi and welcome.
You will find a lot of friendly help on this forum whatever your problems are,and you will know you are not alone.

K

Kat100

Hello and welcome , glad you are seeing a diabetic Dr ....you need to find out what the appointment is about ....
You will also find great support and experiences from others here ....best wishes

gourdNA

Thank u so much! Yes I need to look in to the carbs diet u are all talking about! I have a diabetic diatician booked in on Wednesday after I have seen the diabetic dr for my blood results which she was concerned about! I hope I can get the motivation and the kick I need to start changing things! Right now feel stuck at standing point with no where to go! It has affected my moods and depression hopefully after seeing them Wednesday il feel bit more on point and less confused! I will google the low carb diet now to find out more xx thank you xx

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome ! :)

Just a thought- how have they come to the conclusion that you are Type 2 ? Have they actually tested for antibodies or have they just made an assumption based on the fact that you had gestational diabetes and your BMI ?

Signy

K

Kat100

Thank u so much! Yes I need to look in to the carbs diet u are all talking about! I have a diabetic diatician booked in on Wednesday after I have seen the diabetic dr for my blood results which she was concerned about! I hope I can get the motivation and the kick I need to start changing things! Right now feel stuck at standing point with no where to go! It has affected my moods and depression hopefully after seeing them Wednesday il feel bit more on point and less confused! I will google the low carb diet now to find out more xx thank you xx
You will get there , it takes a while for the shock to sink in , as I have said before I am not sure I have really got over the shock , just made some changes and learnt to cope in a different way ...I found my own diet pathway ...and change my exercise and diet when I need to ...
I use my health centre when I need to as well ...
From this forum I have found reading different experiences really helpful ...found some great information ...not all for me , but you do learn to tweak
Look forward to chatting to you .....best wishes ...Kat

clairemcg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @gourdNA
I was diagnosed in late November so I can relate to your disbelief, still finding it hard to tag T2 on to me, and except and live with it
I've lost (deleted cos it ain't coming back!) 10kg since just before Christmas, by doing virtually no carb diet as advised by many on here, it works and it gets the blood sugar down.
Wish you all the best, take it easy on yourself this isn't your fault in any way, it can be controlled and as a positive you can be fitter and healthier with T2 xxo