Newly diagnosed with gestational diabetes

coolchan

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Hi I was 27 weeks pregnant when I was diagnosed. My pre reading was 4.3 but after having the glucose drink and waiting two hours the reading was 8.8. Went to hospital on Thursday and got given a home testing kit and they want us to test first thing in the morning then an hour after each meal. Every test I've done has been well below the thresholds so is it just that I can't have say a full sugar drink like lucozade or lemonade? I have carbs with every meal but very rarely have cakes, sweets, chocolate, biscuits, ice cream or deserts and I don't add sugar to anything. I eat cereals, I have a glass of prune juice to help with constipation each morning, soups, fruit, vegetables, yoghurts, boiled eggs, toast, rice, pasta, baked potatoes, occasionally. We had a Chinese the other night as a treat and all my readings have been 5.9 or less. So does this mean I can continue with my current diet? If I never get another high reading does it mean that the kit at home isn't accurate or their kit maybe wasn't accurate? If I never get a high result with my kit could it just be that I can have what I am eating still and if I was to have a full fat coke or a lucozade my body just wouldn't be able to process this?

Gemsydodger

Type of diabetes
Gestational
If, one hour after you eat, your levels are less then the 7.8, then you can continue to eat as you are. As the pregnancy progresses the hormones ramp up and the intolerance to some carbs might increase. Just keep up with the readings. Good luck :)

coolchan

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Thank you. Had a week of overs after breakfast. So I might ring them today to find out some quick, simple alternatives to breakfast cereal, although today I've had a boiled egg and a piece of toast as I had more time, so I'll see what that does in a while and see if that makes a difference .