Newly diagnosed with Type 2

PocketRocket

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PocketRocket personally I think retesting after 4 weeks would be a bit pointless. You do not want the results of the last month in with the other two months of your previous way of eating. Three months down the line will encompass your new way of eating and exercise and the new determined you. By which time the results will hopefully be much improved.
Thanks for replying. I had read that 3/4 months for the blood cells to renew, so hoping that yes, it has gone down then with a change in eating habits and moving more. I do have to go back and retest for the formal dx, but I know exactly what it's going to read unfortunately. I just want to be over the shock and despondency before I go back to the GPs, oh and better informed too so I don't take heed of the conflicting advice they've given me over the past few years of pre-diabetes!

PocketRocket

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A funny for the "go big" line

A win for the attitude.

A big believer here, in "it has to suit YOU " in the long term.

It's not a diet for chrimbo or a summer holiday, it has to be one that's sustainable over years.
A proper C change in thinking

I went 60g of carbs...and guesstimated not measured.

Though I did measure on scales exactly how 'much' some items were for guidance

Shocked how little 30g of cereal was, for example...so that was my first NO NO.

I'd say good luck but
I think you'll do fine.
Yes most definitely a lifestyle change and I'm well up for it. I find psychologically I'm best moving on totally from something rather than piecemeal.... I'm more inclinined to fall off the wagon if I do something gradually.
Thanks for the advice and positive vibes.... I think I'll be fine too.
Read a few pages of Fungs diabetic code and ordered the book. Already making so much sense!

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: aylalake and jjraak

PocketRocket

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@becca59

Good advice, but if I recall for those newly DX'd, I think it's protocol to do a 2nd test a few weeks later to ensure DX is correct ?

Which is how I read the post...
Perhaps they could clarify ?

But I'd say your thinking is right about the impact of the diet.

I didn't find the forum before my 2nd test, so doubled down on the Eatwell Advice....and found it rose my HBA1c from 57 to 58 for my sins.
Yes to confirm dx, but I'm putting it back so I can get into the right frame of mind and go in there properly informed so I don't follow the duff advice they have given me the past few years of pre-diabetes.... eat low fat, eat well plate with a third carbs etc! Will want them to test again in April to compare HbAc1 scores.

Reactions: jjraak and aylalake

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Thanks for replying. Yes I think I'll swerve the YPP, I'm aiming for 30g of Carb a day, which I know is a bit ambitious for a newbie, but I'm a bit, 'go big or go home'.
I went 30g a day when I first started LCHF and I haven’t had any problems. I did ensure I included a boullion cube in hot water and ACV to ward off keto flu.
I also re-trained my brain by, every time I craved something sweet or carbs, substituting something else such as savoury instead of sweet, and protein instead of carbs. Celery did a grand job of diminishing the bread craving, oddly enough.

Gary clark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me too been on Metformin 500 ml slow release for 5 weeks and if anything my fasting bs has gone up is this normal for the first couple of months

Sued24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just ask, has anyone here tried yellow pea pasta and does anyone know if it is compatible for a low carb diet? I'm only just looking into it now. Also does anyone here follow Dr Michael Moseley's blood sugar diet recommendations?
Thanks in advance!
Re Dr Moseley, I got the Fast 800 Diet book, and the recipe book to go with it. The diet book makes a lot of sense, low carb diet, exercise etc., but the recipes focus on low calorie rather than low carb, which I found slightly confusing given the content of the Fast 800. I’m just doing low carb with a carb counter and aiming at 80-100g a day to start, will probably trim that down a bit in the coming weeks.

Helen H

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just ask, has anyone here tried yellow pea pasta and does anyone know if it is compatible for a low carb diet? I'm only just looking into it now. Also does anyone here follow Dr Michael Moseley's blood sugar diet recommendations?
Thanks in advance!
i read the blood sugar diet book when I got told I was prediabetic (only got tested as I pushed for a test as brother had just been diagnosed T2 and my GP said it that didn’t put me at any higher risk). The book made a lot of sense to me, low carb, exercise and an initial low calories for a few weeks only. I found the recipes not really my thing and after finding this forum I decided to try keto for a few weeks, 20g of carbs/day and restrict calories to 900-1000. This has worked brilliantly for me so far, I lost a stone in 4 weeks which put me at a bmi of 24 but more importantly the weight is coming off my abdomen which it never did on the ”low fat” diet. I find I do not feel hungry or have any cravings. I have 2 meals a day - lunch and dinner (I have never really eaten breakfast so this is normal for me). Some people think I have gone too far too quick but like you - go big or go home. Once I am at the weight I want to be I will try adding a few more carbs to my diet - but i plan for these to be mainly from more vegetables/beans/fruit rather than pasta/bread/rice etc. I will use my BG meter to guide me on what works for me and what doesn’t. I have to wait a year before I get another HbA1c test so hoping what I am doing/intend to do is the right thing for me.

As an added note, this forum is brilliant - I have learnt so much from people on here and find them an inspiration.

Edited to correct t typos!

Last edited:

PocketRocket

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re Dr Moseley, I got the Fast 800 Diet book, and the recipe book to go with it. The diet book makes a lot of sense, low carb diet, exercise etc., but the recipes focus on low calorie rather than low carb, which I found slightly confusing given the content of the Fast 800. I’m just doing low carb with a carb counter and aiming at 80-100g a day to start, will probably trim that down a bit in the coming weeks.
That's really helpful thanks. I'm sticking more to low carb at the moment and using some of the more accessible recipes in his book. Homemade beetroot falafel sounds great, but honestly I just about have time to chuck an omelette together!

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

PocketRocket

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i read the blood sugar diet book when I got told I was prediabetic (only got tested as I pushed for a test as brother had just been diagnosed T2 and my GP said it that didn’t put me at any higher risk). The book made a lot of sense to me, low carb, exercise and an initial low calories for a few weeks only. I found the recipes not really my thing and after finding this forum I decided to try keto for a few weeks, 20g of carbs/day and restrict calories to 900-1000. This has worked brilliantly for me so far, I lost a stone in 4 weeks which put me at a bmi of 24 but more importantly the weight is coming off my abdomen which it never did on the ”low fat” diet. I find I do not feel hungry or have any cravings. I have 2 meals a day - lunch and dinner (I have never really eaten breakfast so this is normal for me). Some people think I have gone too far too quick but like you - go big or go home. Once I am at the weight I want to be I will try adding a few more carbs to my diet - but i plan for these to be mainly from more vegetables/beans/fruit rather than pasta/bread/rice etc. I will use my BG meter to guide me on what works for me and what doesn’t. I have to wait a year before I get another HbA1c test so hoping what I am doing/intend to do is the right thing for me.

As an added note, this forum is brilliant - I have learnt so much from people on here and find them an inspiration.

Edited to correct t typos!
That is brilliant to hear! I've spent the last few weeks curbing the carbs and being mindful of staying in 1000 cals territory. I tested my fasting bloods about 2 weeks ago and it was 7.9 mmol. After being recommend Dr Fung's Diabetic code on here, I decided to try 16:8 fasting 5 days a week. I only started on Monday. In 4 weeks I've lost 9lb, my fasting bloods this morning were 7.2 and my bloods 2 hours after lunch were 8.0.
The dyspepsia that has plagued me for years has gone and I can sleep more comfortably on my right side. I am staggered by the difference in such a short space of time. This is what getting the right information and support looks like and it's because of this forum. I've still got work to do, but I've made a good start, so thanks to everyone who has reached out!

PocketRocket

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too been on Metformin 500 ml slow release for 5 weeks and if anything my fasting bs has gone up is this normal for the first couple of months
I was recommended a book in this thread, Dr Fung Diabetes Code, and it was a revelation. He explained how Metformin works, or doesn't work as the case may be, but also discusses what is more likely to work.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: aylalake and jjraak

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is brilliant to hear! I've spent the last few weeks curbing the carbs and being mindful of staying in 1000 cals territory. I tested my fasting bloods about 2 weeks ago and it was 7.9 mmol. After being recommend Dr Fung's Diabetic code on here, I decided to try 16:8 fasting 5 days a week. I only started on Monday. In 4 weeks I've lost 9lb, my fasting bloods this morning were 7.2 and my bloods 2 hours after lunch were 8.0.
The dyspepsia that has plagued me for years has gone and I can sleep more comfortably on my right side. I am staggered by the difference in such a short space of time. This is what getting the right information and support looks like and it's because of this forum. I've still got work to do, but I've made a good start, so thanks to everyone who has reached out!
You're already finding it's not just about losing weight. I'd suggest taking a good leather belt and marking which hole you start at. Seeing the holes glide past is really satisfying. I keep my old belt as a measure/memento but I've had to buy a new one for wearing as the old one was so big the extra length goes round my back!

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're already finding it's not just about losing weight. I'd suggest taking a good leather belt and marking which hole you start at. Seeing the holes glide past is really satisfying. I keep my old belt as a measure/memento but I've had to buy a new one for wearing as the old one was so big the extra length goes round my back!

Ha, what a brilliant yet simple (like the best of them) idea!

Reactions: jjraak

sueh21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, loads of good advice here and all over this forum. Thank goodness I found it. I just wanted to recommend the Carbs and Cals book, I found it so useful when first diagnosed and everything is overwhelming. A visual representation of portion sizes and their carbs was really helpful.

Reactions: PocketRocket