Newly diagnosed with type one last week

Hawkey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot
Hi I did post in the wrong place just now (I think ) But to repeat myself I’ve just been rather shocked to find out that I’m type one .I lost a lot of weight and was dashing to the loo every five minutes.I’m in a state of shock really as I’m very active and not at all fat .I didn’t feel tired ,just grumpy.
I’m on metformin 500mg twice a day and a abasaglar 10 units in the evening.My blood sugars are very high , between 13 and 25 and I’ve had two lows .Im hoping that my health team will get me sorted out soon as it’s all a bit worrying.I guess I’ve always like my carbs but worrying about losing more weight .

D

Deleted Account

I know what you mean about the shock - I remember my diagnosis.
But, if you have type 1, there is no need to cut out carbs - you just need to learn to match your insulin doses and timings to the carbs you eat.
As you get your BG under control, you should find yourself putting the weight back on - your body has been breaking down protein to get energy as, without enough insulin, it could not get it from sugar.

You are only one week into this and there is a lot to learn which may be rather overwhelming but there is a wealth of information around especially in this forum - don't be afraid to ask a question: we've all been in your position at some time.

Fastcol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I’ve just read your post, I was diagnosed T1 just before Christmas and like you it came as a real shock, I’m a very fit and healthy 52 year old, I enjoy lots of mountain biking as well as coastal walking.
But to be fair I am where I am and just need to get on with it, I have managed to get my blood sugar levels down to a manageable 6 to 9 most of the time, I’m currently injecting twice daily and have been off the Metformin for a few weeks, I do struggle understand the correlation between carb intake and insulin requirements but it’s something I’m learning about real quickly.
I’m currently reading a real good book called ‘Think like a pancreas’ and have also got a book called ‘Carb and calorie counter’ which helps understanding portion sizes, you can also get the App on your phone.
It’s difficult to understand how life will move forward with T1 but I do have a massive amount of support from my family as well as my health team and forums like this are an absolute godsend for information.
Good luck with your journey and be thankful you’ve been diagnosed with something that’s manageable and something that is a whole lot more advanced now than it was 20 years ago

Reactions: Hawkey

Hawkey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot
Yes ,thanks nice to hear from another 50 something year old with the same problems .Theres a wealth of helpful information here and some some great folk

Reactions: Fastcol

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes ,thanks nice to hear from another 50 something year old with the same problems .Theres a wealth of helpful information here and some some great folk

Welcome to the forum mate!

We are all here to provide help, support, friendship so don’t ever feel alone.

Reactions: Hawkey