Type 1 Newly diagnosed

joshluck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just diagnosed yesterday with type 1 diabetes. I'm okay with it but my family are making it harder for me by constantly checking on me, don't want me going out on my own and things like that, I just want to be treated normal but no one can understand that, any advice?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not surprised the family is worried about you, if you were only diagnosed yesterday. I presume you were sent home with insulin pens and a blood sugar monitor. It's a lot for anyone to take in.

Accept that they love you and want to make sure you're ok. Reassure them you're fine and if you want to go out on your own, do that and tell them you've got your test kit and hypo treatment with you (and don't do anything daft . . . Sorry but that's the mothering instinct in me!)

This diagnosis is a big thing for you all but things will get back to normal. Good luck!

Of course, you'll have plenty of questions in the future so ask the forum and members will try to help

joshluck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm just not good with the attention, I'm the type of person who just gets on with it

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm just not good with the attention, I'm the type of person who just gets on with it

Likewise, but you have to see things from your family's perspective :)

Being a parent myself I know how I'd worry if it was one of my children, as said it's just what family's do.

Reactions: azure

joshluck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I understand that, just something else I need to get used to I suppose, time will tell

Reactions: Freema

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @joshluck . Welcome to the world of diabetes.
Annoying as it is, one day you'll be eternally grateful that someone is looking out for you.
As mentioned, try to see it from their perspective.
A good hypo will not show you any mercy.

Charlotte2580

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think I'm in a very similar position to you, only been diagnosed for 6 weeks as a Type 1. How're you finding it?