Newly diagnosed

Dippy3103

Sorry, i am a bit bewildered.

I have recently had two fasting tests with levels of 7.2 and 7.4. I saw my GP yesterday and she said that I was in the diabetic range and i have an appointment to discuss diet and lifestyle on Monday. She didn't actually use the word diabetic. At least i don't think so. My mind was racing.

Does that mean i am? I need to lose some weight (but i knew that already in honesty).What should i expect? What happens next? If i am diabetic do i have to inform anyone- DVLA,my employer? These were pre conception base line tests (i have been feeling tired and generally under the weather). Should i stop taking the folic acid that i had started? I'm 39 by the way.

Sorry, i know that is loads of questions and i really should wait till i see the nurse. BUt i am anxious and can't face rining the Dr and saying that i missed the part where she told me if i am diabetic or not.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply!

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Dippy3103

Understandably, you sound rather anxious and upset. However, please take a deep breath and try to calm down.

We can not offer you a diagnosis here, only your doctor can do that, but your two fasting blood sugar levels where both slightly above 7 mmol/l, which is the minimum threshold for diagnosing diabetes. Does that mean you have diabetes? Probably. However please ask your doctor for confirmation. Alternatively, as you are only slightly over the threshold it could be pre-diabetes which is reversible with lifestyle and diet changes.

Even if it is diabetes, as long as you make the necessary changes to control your condition effectively, this should not stop you from having a long healthy and active life or, as you state that your tests were pre-conception baseline tests, from having a baby.

As for stopping any medication you are now on, I would not do so without first discussing it with your doctor. So either give him a call or wait until you see him on Monday.

In general, although I fully understand why you would wish to find immediate answers and change things round right away, in your shoes I would concentrate on making a list of questions to put to the doctor/nurse at your appointment on Monday. Diabetes is a long term condition and not likely to be affected much by anything you do between now and Monday. By all means look at the information contained on this site and forum if it helps clarify things for you but try not to get overwhelmed by it all.

Any questions you still have after your doctor's meeting or if you just wish to get something off your chest, feel free to post on the forum. I have found the people here very friendly, knowledgeable and willing to help.

Good luck with your doctor's appointment.

Regards

Pavlos

FordPrefect

Well I know that my doc told me at the time 3 fasting tests over 7 and you are diabetic. As for your other questions its going to depend on a few things. Telling your employer legally no you dont however it might be advantageous to you to do so if you need time off for docs appointments etc etc, also you might have a contractual obligation to divuludge. As for the DVLA I believe the current rules are you only have to tell them if you have complications or have to inject insulin. Best to check the dvla website if unsure.

Docs are probably going to try and get you to change your diet to improve your blood sugar levels given your current readings hopefully with a few tweaks you should be able to get your blood sugar levels down to the correct levels. I'd suggest for a start getting hold of a book on the GI diet. You are going to have to cut down on sugar to the point of nearly giving it up. Sweets and cakes are gonna have to be an occasional treat. Dump the sugar from your coffee/tea and get sweetners if you need them. I'd also suggest you look at your portion sizes for carbs. Cut down on the potatoes try to have no more than one bigish potato, with pasta keep to four hand fulls max. With bread dump the white bread and ignore what they tell you about wholemeal and go for grannery or burgen bread which is lower GI.

The docs might try and put you onto medication starting normally with metformin especially if you are overweight, as it not only doesnt cause you to gain weight quite often you lose weight whilst on it. This drug also protects against heart disease and other diabetic complications which is why its so popular but it does affect the stomach of a lot of people on it, if thats the case for you you can get slow release version which is normally better. But hopefully you can get your sugars down enough without having to go on medication. Losing weight will also help a lot.

m_cooper

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
those levels are not that bad,if you drive for your employer you will need to inform them and dvla and your insurance company if you have a car.cut out snacks between meals and try to walik for 10-15 mins between meals and after dinner.cut out sugar in tea coffee and on cereals;worst of all try to limit chocolate and cakes and puddings;if you do home cooking use canderell for sugar or another alterative.the dietician will tell you not to have puddings or only 1 a month,but i have ignored that advice and have 1 a week on average,and try to eat more veg preferably not root veg as they contain more sugar and limit your potatoes.try to eat smaller meals and lose some weight.my readings on fasting were 9,but i have lost about a stone and my bg level is now 6 so you should be able to get below that with some small changes to your diet