Newly diagnosed

Ogbarakehinde

Hello, I recently took ill, had a high thirst for sweet things that I satisfied by drinking carbonated drinks and juices, also was passing alot of urine, was admitted at the hospital for a very high blood sugar reading, was administered drips and insulin as I was already dehydrated. After two days I was discharged and placed on drugs {Metformin & Glibenclamide} and was told about lifestyle changes and all.
Under one week I cut down on carbs and started daily exercises, the numbers have gone down to about 102 mg/dl after meals and I noticed that in the afternoon after meals and taking my meds my reading goes between 66 - 73. I'm afraid it might get lower. Can I get off the drugs and continue to implement the changes or do I just continue with the drugs for now

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ohbarakehinde can you communicate soon with your diabetes manager? I know nothing about medications, but it sounds like your doctor/nurse is the one to answer your question.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your Glibenclamide acts by forcing the pancreas to produce extra insulin. Insulin is mainly needed when you eat carbs. The fewer carbs you eat the less insulin you need. It can therefore cause low blood sugars. Your doctor should have explained this to you. The Metformin on its own does not do this. You need to discuss with your doctor about your new diet regime and whether he can reduce or stop the Glibenclamide. This is a decision for your doctor. We cannot tell you how to manage your drugs.

Reactions: Debandez