Newly diagnosed

rupertl

Hello,

I have just been diagnosed as type 1 diabetic. As a fit and healthy mid 40 year old, it came as a bit of a shock! I have been given an Infopia Fine Test Light monitoring system by the doctor, however I was wondering whether people could recommend a monitoring system that might be blue tooth enabled to work with an iphone app?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @rupertl ,

Arguably, the most common system in use is the Freestyle Libre. With this system in its basic condition, you have to scan the sensor (usually worn on the arm) with a reader.

You can get other devices such as Miaomiao which sit on top of the libre and connect to the Libre and basically turn Flash Glucose Monitoring (FGM) into Constant Glucose Monitoring (CGM).

There are quite a few users in the forums so they'll probably pop in later with some helpful advice.

Also look at Dexcom G6.

Welcome to the forums and to our exclusive club.

rupertl

Hi @rupertl ,

Arguably, the most common system in use is the Freestyle Libre. With this system in its basic condition, you have to scan the sensor (usually worn on the arm) with a reader.

You can get other devices such as Miaomiao which sit on top of the libre and connect to the Libre and basically turn Flash Glucose Monitoring (FGM) into Constant Glucose Monitoring (CGM).

There are quite a few users in the forums so they'll probably pop in later with some helpful advice.

Also look at Dexcom G6.

Welcome to the forums and to our exclusive club.

Thanks for this. I'll take a look and as you say hopefully some other users with have some useful information/suggestions.

D

Deleted Account

Before going for the Libre add ons, it is worthwhile remembering these rely on 3rd party apps and the developers do not have access to the official Libre algorithms etc.
Under normal circumstances I would not consider this to be a problem. However, I understand Libre v2 is due to be released in the UK next month and it includes data encryption so, at the moment, the apps which add ons like Miao Miao rely on do not work with v2.
For this reason, I am holding back from converting my Libre to Bluetooth connected Cgm.

Returning to the original question, I am not sure if the op is requesting a Cgm or whether they are requesting a finger prick meter which automatically uploads the readings via Bluetooth. I am not aware of such a meter.
However, if the op is UK based I would like to add a note of caution. If a meter isprovided by the doctor, test strips for that meter will be available via prescription (which, if you have completed the required paperwork, is zero cost to you). The doctor may not agree to fund any other test strips. Given these are the most expensive part of the meter, this may result in a large expense over time.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Libre can’t comunicate with an insulin pump, so already there I would say that Libre are not an good solution, same with dexcom unfortunally.

I would say medtronic are one of the best solutions out there. Medtronic is a two piece system, medtronic minimed g670 which are the pump, and medtronic iPro2 a cgm that works with both the minimed pump and smart phones.

The thing I like about medtronic is that blood sugar levels and insulin injections can be synced with both the display on your minimed pump and your smarthphone. Always giving you full control of how many units of insulin you’ve taken and your blood sugar levels.

The thing I do not like with other cgm’s or pumps is that they require two different monitors or two different apps to show both insulin and blood sugar. It is much easier to have a cgm and pump that are communicating with each other, because it makes it easier to watch you blood sugar curve while taking insulin.

There might be other good solutions out htere, but I think it is safe tp recommend medtronic.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @rupertl ,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm more an input the data to my app shared across two devices personally kind of user?

However, the MySugr app. (Free download.) Maybe benificial if you are looking for a meter with Bluetooth to transfer readings over to your device.?
I use an Accu-Chek mobile & was sent a wireless adaptor for this meter from Roche for gratis, which just plugs into the mini USB port on the side of the unit. The meter basically thinks it's hooked up to a PC?

There must other Bluetooth enabled meters on the market that can work with the MySugr app.

Hope this points you in the right direction..
I feel I would be looking at what test stips are listed that can be prescribed from you surgery, then looking at what Bluetooth enabled meters can be used with the strips. Then contacting the company & getting them to send you one.? Some companies will send a meter for free (I know Roche do.) if they know the strips are being used.
Like ink cartridges in a printer. This is where they make the "profit.!"

rupertl

Thanks for the suggestions above - all very useful. I like the look of the Accu-Check and the MySgr seems good. I'll keep researching this and all sorts of other things. There's obviously a lot to take in.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
If switching meter you may need to check that you will be prescribed suitable strips. Just because you may end up self funding otherwise.
Many peole already have to self fund com/flash so strips can add to the expense!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
I would second the comment above re strips.

I now have two monitors as strips I ordered did not fit my original despite saying they did and the depiction of the box telling me they were correct.

I use an Accu AQ UG and Accu Smart meter. The AQ UG is a pain getting strips for.